How will a 3yr old cope with new baby?

My daughter is VERY VERY clingy. I am not sure how she will handle the baby taking up all my time most of my attention.

I also dont know how I will tell her of the news. I tried telling her and the next day she kept telling everyone she has a baby brother in her stomach. Which was a bad idea because I havent told anyone yet and she has a big mouth lol. So I am think when I start to show I can gradually tell her and show her that there is a baby in there. Any moms with ideas on how to tell her. I dont want to surprise her with one day its just her and the next theres a new baby in the home.

KayGia0704

Asked by KayGia0704 at 10:59 AM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• just make the baby a part of everyday conversation. dont make it a big deal to tell her. when I tell my kids, I just say " mama has a baby in here, are you going to play with it? You can teach the baby to be a big kid like you!" u know what to tell her to make her excited! If its an everyday thing and you dont make it a big deal, she will just come to accept it and will be just fine! When baby gets here, just make sure you love on her still (obviously u will anyways :D) and let her help you, and tell her what an important job she has now to help make the baby be a good kid like her. It always works out!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 11:04 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Thanks!
    KayGia0704

Comment by KayGia0704 (original poster) at 11:05 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• i thought my little one would have a with it to but i told her from the time i found out the news. she was gonna be a big sister, i have let her help where ever it was posable and now i am waiting on the baby to get here... she is happy and tells every one she is gonna be a big sister soon.
    eaglesbaby1

Answer by eaglesbaby1 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Well with both my girls. We talked about it right away and explained things that will happen when baby comes. I also have a Mommy and me time. When I was/am breastfeeding I use it as story time. We talked to them about things they can do to help and hold baby.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:20 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Make her a part of helping once the baby comes. She can get you diapers, burp cloths, etc. Also put a lot of focus on her when the baby comes home. Some of the best advice I got was to spend plenty of one on one time with the oldest child so that they knew they were still special, loved, and not replaced. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:15 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• My three year old didn't really seem interested until the baby started making sounds! Just try to include her in the preparations for the baby. We let our older child(ren) pick out the outfit the baby would come home in, let them hold the baby and basically involved them in every aspect of the whole event. Your daughter will think the baby is cute and she will be fine! Good luck and congrats!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:22 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I am due on the 9th and I started talking to my son who will be 2 1/2 about the baby everyday and he would say no my mommy. I finally got him excited a few months ago by telling him it was his baby and his baby brother and ask him if he was going to feed the baby. I also took him to my 18 week ultrasound and the tech gave him his own picture.
    Candie2008

Answer by Candie2008 at 10:15 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I will try to let you know how it turns out when the baby gets here.
    Candie2008

• My daughter was 2.5 yrs when her sister was born. She was very active in the prenatal process and the birth. Making a normal part of life helps!
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:02 PM on Dec. 5, 2010