Honest question about eco friendly things and hw useful they are...

So when is it really worth it? Is it worth recycling if it cost water to rinse all the cans and energy to precess and separate them plus the gas int he trucks to collect it? Is it worth cloth diapering (enviro. wise)if it cost twice the hot water to clean and twice the energy to run the washer not to mention the harsh chemicals and bleach.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Dec. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• It's all in the small steps. Yes, we are still using fossil fuels to transport the items to be recycled, but because we are recycling them we won't run out of the natural resources we are using to create them as quickly. If you want to be really enviro friendly, use collected rain water for things like rinsing out your cans, watering your plants, etc. I prefer cloth diapers and yes, even with the chemicals used to clean them they are better for the environment - my mom ran a diaper service for years and I got to do all of the research for her on the effects of disposable diapers on our environment.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:17 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• This is a very difficult question. In areas where water is scarce, the cost of storing waste in perpetuity may be less. Although, that may be up for grabs, since some people are more troubled by storing waste in perpetuity than others, and what effects quality of life can only be determined by the individual. Using less stuff and trying not to waste things is a definite winner environmentally speaking, regardless of where you live.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:17 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Well first you can always save the cold water from your faucets when trying to get hot and use that water, which will save wasted water down the drain. Anything kept out of a ladnrefill and given a new purpose is always worth it.

No one has to use hot water in the washing machine. I haven't used anything but cold to clean EVERYTHING for the last 3+ years.

And I use a homemade chemical free laundry detergent that costs about $3.25 a batch and lasts over 6 months.

I also make my own household cleaners, soap, shampoo, lotion use no voc paint and try to use organic and natural wherever possible....it SAVES me money, limits the chemicals me and my family are exposed to and does a better job!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:19 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Its definitely worth it, b/c we reserve our planet in the long run. Water and other bills are the unfortunate price that we have to pay to jump start our conscious living decisions. Can we save water, sure - recycle rain water and filter it. I've seen couples have this type of (simple) system built on to their house on the home improvement channel. We can also use solar powered electricity, sun ovens, buy from local companies/farmers, and we can purchase nontoxic (all natural) cleaning solutions. All we have to do is put forth an effort to heal our planet of its current man made destructions. The possibilities of eco friendly alternatives are endless.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 12:03 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Well recycling does cost money. However the thing is to dump things in the landfill also cost the environment. You have to think what makes more sense to you. I recycle everything that I can. I also re-purpose as well.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 2:01 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• It's not about money. Its about spending one resource to save another.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Dec. 5, 2010