How hard is the schooling for becoming an Nurse?

I want to be a nurse and I know with hard work I can do it. I'm going to school now and I just get scared thinking about starting the Nursing classes. I'm not good at math. I know it's hard but how hard?If your a nurse what helped you reach your goal. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• I have a few friends who are nurses and it is very hard. Just prepare yourself to study alot and put in some hard work and you can do it!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:17 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Are you good at studying, and do you have good study habits? The ability to really study and memorize a lot of information is a major part of nursing school.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:19 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I am a nurse. I attended  a 4 years University program right out of HS, but it was in the 70s. I didn't think it was all that difficult but I was young, single and childless at the time. Good Luck-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:21 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I completed my Licensed Practical Nurse certification and licensure recently. It's a very challenging path, to be sure. The math for nursing is basic computation and simple algebra, if you wanted to get a jump on that aspect you could Google "dimensional analysis" and obtain a workbook to get you started. You didn't specify if you are going for LPN or RN school, but in either case my advice to you would be to begin learning medical terminology, laboratory normal values and therapeutic serum drug level ranges now, such information is available for nothing on the Internet. When you're in school, know that you will need several hours to study every evening or in the early mornings, I chose mornings when the house was quiet. Find study partners, attend study groups and don't be afraid to ask your instructors for help and advice, they've all been there! If you want any more advice or help, please PM me, I want to help!
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:22 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I have been a nurse for 15 years but I still remember vividly how tough nursing school was. You can do it, but just be prepared for a lot of studying!! You learn a LOT in just a couple years...and you will never stop learning throughout your career. Best of luck to you. :)
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 11:23 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I agree with Sisteract...I too went after high school, single and childless. There is a lot of memorization, there was a lot of writing care plans and papers. You do need math to do med calculations, (or you did, maybe there's an app for that now!) I just hired a brand new nurse right out of school and she thinks working is harder than school....so, there you go. Good luck to you.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 11:24 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• check out allnurses.com. :)
    kjrn79

• the learning aspect isn't that hard usually (depending on the teachers) it'snot missing any school that seems to be what kicks most girls out. the school around here will only let you miss three, the school i started only let you miss five. no matter what, three if your husband dies, child dies, mother etc. it's hard to not miss school sometimes especially if you're working or you have kids.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:44 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I'm currently in a nursing program. These ladies are definitely right, you need to be prepared to spend a lot of your time studying; just going to class doesn't cut it. You'll also need to have childcare ON LOCK- along with a couple of reliable back ups. Nursing programs are extremely strict on lateness & absence, and you're only allowed so many before you're expelled. I'm not so good at math either, but to be honest the drug calculations aren't that bad. Once you've got them, you've got them- no more difficult than high school algebra. I got through the class by remembering that once you get out into an actual work environment, you can always look up the math in a book. Hugs doll, PM me! I'd love to help you however I can. We always need good nurses!
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 12:54 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I'm in nursing school now, to be an RN. I have 2 little girls and it is really hard to find the time that I need to study. I will definately be glad when I'm done. You can do it if you find the time to keep up. Good Luck!
    HannahMayr

Answer by HannahMayr at 2:02 PM on Dec. 5, 2010