Does my grandson have autism?

My 19 month old grandson has me concerned. Sometimes he will trot around in a small circle 2-4 feet in diameter. He gazes off as if daydreaming from time to time. Has limited verbal communication skills. Is showing signs of what look like the terrible twos regarding behavior. Should I be concerned? Should I continue to observe? Should I make my concerns known to my daughter-in-law and son?

daisygray

Asked by daisygray at 11:19 AM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you are concerned talk to your son and DIL about it.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 11:21 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Continue to observe. If there are several things that can be red flags but one or two of them doesn't make a reason to worry. AS he gets older you will watch for things like limited or non existent speech, ritual like behavior, lack of eye contact, flapping hands when happy or upset, along with a whole list of other things. If he has any form of Autism it will be apparent by age 5 or6 in most cases. By 2 or 3 if it is more severe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Maybe talk to your son and DIL. When you do though only describe what you have seen, but don't put a name to it. That will just scare them, and could risk getting them really upset. Only a Dr. can diagnose him, so that would be up to them to persue...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:23 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• TO me it seems a little to early to be jumping to conclusions. I would do some research and continue to observe. The things you mentioned do not scream Autism to me. Especially at only 19 months. LINK to begin your research with

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:26 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Thank you all for your responses. His pediatrician has indicated that he should have more verbal skills and will test at 24 months. I think my d-i-l may have some of the same feelings that I have. She was concerned about vaccinations, but the pediatrician would no longer see the child if he did not have them...this is a red flag to me! I don't disagree with vaccinations, but think that they should be given later rather than starting at 2 months of age. If he does have autism, I know that early diagnosis and treatment are key.
    daisygray

Comment by daisygray (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Theres an online test you can take its on autism.org i believe. I know the test is on the web google it.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 12:28 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• If you think it's autism, please don't wait. Don't tell them he has autism, or even that you suspect it, but tell them your suspicion please. Early intervention is SO important!!

Answer by missanc at 4:14 PM on Dec. 5, 2010