What size would a 3-5 year old girl wear?

DH and I are sponsoring a little girl for Christmas through a local program. One of the things she ask for was a sweater with butterflies on it. The only specifics we have about her is her name and that she is between 3 and 5. I know kids' sizes vary, but was wondering what maybe the average size was for this age range. TIA!

JDanesMommy

Asked by JDanesMommy at 12:19 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My youngest dd is 6 and her pants are a size 4 and her shirts are 6-6x. I would call you chruch to see if they can give you some specifics.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 12:31 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I would ask for them to be more specific. Generally at this age, kids wear the same size as their age. So a 3 year old would wear a 3T, a 4 year old would wear a 4T. 3-5 is such a vast size difference though. If you can't get anything more specific, then buy size 5. She can always grow into the clothes.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I'm with the last poster -- If you are unable to get more specific information I would get a 5T and hope she's not husky. You said the sweater was only one of the things she asked for... you may be able to more accurately guess her age based on some of the toys she wants. Just a thought.
    Good luck!
    EmmysMom113

Answer by EmmysMom113 at 1:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Thanks for the input! : )
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 3:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I would go with the bigger size as well. Granted I have boys, but my youngest started wearing a 3T before he turned 18 months, my second is almost 3 and wears a 5T, my oldest is 4 and wears a size 6.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:51 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• My 4 year old wears 4T... she can wear 3T shorts but the pants are too short. She's about average if not a little big for her age. Sometimes I even shop in the little girls' department instead of baby section and buy her XS shirts - they fit her well.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 7:01 PM on Nov. 6, 2008