how to tell if my dd has pink eye?

I think she might have pink eye. She is almost 3. She is not in daycares or around other kids though, but my oldest 5.5 is in kindergarden so I don't know if maybe she could had brought something home (she is fine though)? But anyway she has this crusty stuff on her eye, but I can't go by that because she always has that becauase her eye is always watering. She did have surgery on her eye at 8 months old because she has a glogged tear tuct. But her eye yesterday was blood shot (which she doesn't have that normally) and now today it isn't blood shot, but red. Is this pink eye? If so is there anything over the counter I can get for this?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 11:32 AM on Dec. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• That does sound like pink eye to me. Two of mine had it a couple of times and they're home most of the time, hardly go any where, hardly see anyone. I don't think there's anything for it over the counter. I would at least call the doctor, sometimes you can just talk to the nurse and get a prescription and not even have to see the doctor. Eyes are nothing to fool around with, please call your doctor.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 11:49 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Use warm compresses/ clean washcloth on it. If there is yellow or greenish discharge from the corner of the eye (after nap, or a few hours after cleaning it) and she complains that it is itchy or her eye hurts, it could be pink eye/ conjunctivitis. If you think it is it would be best to get her to a doc today: Urgent care or minute clinic type of thing, unless your doc has Sunday hours.

No discharge, or clear/ like tears, probably not pink eye. The blood shot/ red could be from just rubbing it.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 11:38 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• it is clear when it waters and I have nowtest her rubbing it
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 11:43 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• That does sound like pink eye- generally a watery/gunky eye that is itchy and/or sore and looks red. With pink eye the discharge can get sticky and 'glue' their eyes shut. You can also end up with the eyes looking swollen and the inside of the eyelids getting puffy. I would see a doctor, especially if it's her first time with it because you want to be sure... in Canada where Iive there are over-the-counter drops for pink eye as well, but the antibiotics available over the counter take longer to work than prescription drops do.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:49 PM on Dec. 5, 2010