Working out while pregnant?

This baby is so unexpected and I have been slacking with working out. My plan was to go back to my trainer after thanksgiving to really get back in shape. Well, now I am pregnant and wont be able to work out how I use to and want to. Can I still workout to get in shape while pregnant. I dont mean dieting but I do want to tone my body and lose unwanted excess fat because I know if I dont..after this baby is born I will be HUMONGUS!

KayGia0704

Asked by KayGia0704 at 11:46 AM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• if you were moderately active before you got pregnant, and consistently keeping up a workout routine, then it is okay to keep up the routine as long as you feel comfortable with it. if you get tired or dizzy then stop, your body will let you know what's too much. however, if it's been a while since this routine then you need to ease back into it slowly and not go into overkill. if you ran before, you can jog now, walking is great too. you can also ask your ob what exercises are safe for you to do now.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:48 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Yes you can, and it's encouraged, to excersise while pregnant. But you need to talk with your
    OB about it first. Your trainer should tailor your work out so you wont hurt yourself. All your tendons and ligaments will be getting loose very soon to adjust for baby. So you do have to be carefull. I've seen a lot of pregnant women at the gym over the years. Many benefits to staying in shape
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:49 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• you can do anything someone who isnt pregnant can do as long as you are moderately healthy. i know women who were lifting weights the day of delivery. yoga is very safe and effective start with that to get back into the swing. you CAN run, you dont have to jog.
    mrs.pyle

Answer by mrs.pyle at 12:06 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I felt the same way I actually bought the Shiva Rea's Prenatal Yoga DVD that I saw at Walmart. Its modified for each trimester. It was really relaxing. I bought a Yoga mat and had a table chair and some 2lb weights. But its great to personalize your items to help you work out.
    heatherl1985

Answer by heatherl1985 at 1:10 PM on Dec. 5, 2010