one child family

One child families. Does that child tend to be spoiled. Not get along with other kids. In my opinion it isn't good to have a house ful. I don't think it is good for the only child families either. Your opinions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• my son is spoiled but he gets along great with others. he is sensitive. he knows how to share...better than most kids
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:13 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I was an only child and while I didn't get everything I wanted I guess I could say I was spoiled with attention, but that comes naturally because there were no other children for my parents to focus their attention on. Luckily I didn't grow up to need attention because I hate being the center of it! As for getting along with kids, I was in day care and made friends just fine in school. I developed social anxiety as an adult. Go figure.

My son is an only child for now, and he is in day care as well, and so far has no problem getting along with other kids.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• My only child will be 20 years old in 2 weeks. I wish my circumstances allowed me to have/adopt another, but that wasn't possible. He was a very social kid, loved playing with others, I have no recollections about any trouble sharing his stuff, or others'. He has been spoiled, but to his credit he has been working steadily and taking online classes. He bought himself a car. I give him what I can, but now he knows I'm saving for my retirement.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:16 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Every only child I know is a spoiled adult. My sisters boyfriend for instance thinks the world revolves around him. He has no friends only ppl he gets drunk with.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 12:19 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• IMO I think they are odd. They can be placed in the same subject as home schooled kids where they have different ways of socializing. I baby sat a few families with only one child and each one was the same and were... different. They were more reserved and introverted, also with the families I dealt with their kids were spoiled but I also baby sat families with multiple children who were just as spoiled. If you want only one child go for it. It's not my place to say other wise but do know that yes your child will be different because they are brought up differently then those with multiple children. It might not be a bad thing at all, the three single kids I know are all in college but I also knew them through their high school days and they seemed to struggle more with being apart of the crowd and making friends. More so then the kids with brothers and sisters. Just my observation.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 12:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• My kid is super spoiled by others, but not by me. He has no trouble getting along with others.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• My child is an only child with brothers and sisters she has 5 grown brothers and sisters. She is 8. She gets along well with all of her 12 nieces and nephews and very well with her classmates her teacher says she is very well behaved and knows her manners. She is spoiled to some degree as being an "only child" we do more with her then we ever did with our 5 oldest. We are more relaxed with her also. She's more fun to be around.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 12:34 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I'm an only child. I get along well with others. I kind of had to- if I wasn't social enough to make friends, I wouldn't have had anyone to play with! I don't think the world revolves around me. And I really wasn't a spoiled kid... actually, my mom had some issues with anger that made my childhood pretty far from spoiled. I think there's a lot of factors that play into how kids turn out than how many siblings there are... parenting styles, for instance.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:36 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• My son isn't spoiled other than by the grandparents (but that's they're job) and he gets along great with others. I do not want anymore children partly because it will take away experiences that my son could have as an "only" (can play more sports, vacations) I grew up 4 years older than my sister, we hardly knew eachother until we were adults (parly because we couldn't stand eachother as children) and I missed out on lots of things because she was so much younger (i love her to death now and talk to her everyday) but I don't want to have to tell my son, no you can't play tball because your sibling can't be out that late or anything like that. I love spending time with him just the two of us. Our family is perfect with the three of us. Now that he's bigger he gets to do so much I don't want to take that away.
    lovemylilman06

Answer by lovemylilman06 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• It's everyone's personal decision- some famillys are great at balancing a lot of children i just know we wouldn't be able to do it
    lovemylilman06

Answer by lovemylilman06 at 1:01 PM on Dec. 5, 2010