Bad language dilemna! Help!

My just turned 3 year old DD has seemed to have picked up some naughty language. I am a bit clueless as to where she has heard such words. My problem is getting her to stop saying them. She doesn't rattle them off alot, just randomly. So I try to calmly explain to her that its not nice or appropriate for her. I don't laugh either, I do not find this funny what so ever! She then covers her ears and starts to tell me I'm being naughty and to stop talking to her. Oh boy! I am at a loss big time. Any advise, please??? I do not talk like this by the way, neither does my DH. I am however suspecting my younger brother. =(

Example: On our way home last night...DH is driving and we hear "f*cka f*cka f*cka. Or at least that's what I think I was hearing. She has also said, "dammit & ass".

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son also picked it up. I just ignored it. It took some time, but he's finally stopped. Pointedly ignore it. When she says it, start talking about something else.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 12:22 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• So you would recommend not trying to explain to her about it? Just act like I dont hear it?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Let her know exactly which words are not appropriate for kids to use. Tell her if you her use them there will be a consequence (time outs or whatever you do) and then stick to it.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:25 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Just don't give her a reaction. Do you think she knows they're bad words? If you don't, explain that to her. You can also go with the time-outs, but don't react. Just take her to the time-out.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 12:27 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• my son recently did the same thing, he is 5 though. Just the threat of having to put soap in his mouth was enough to stop it
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 12:30 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• When my 2yr old says fox or fork is sounds like f*ck. Idk I'm sick of it. I've been trying to ignore it and saying those word correctly over and over again. I think he has seen the way some people react with their facial expressions and says it more. So when I think hes saying it on purpose to get a reaction I send him to the corner for 2 min. I tell him it's a bad word and he's not allowed to say that. It works for awhile.GL

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 12:39 PM on Dec. 5, 2010