Is diphenhydramine hydrochloride and zinc acetate safe to use during pregnancy?

I have a bug bite and have been trying to find on the internet if it's safe to put on a cream that is 2% diphenhydramine hydrochloride and 0.1% zinc acetate. I hate to wait until Monday to ask my doctor so thanks for any info you may know.

hoffababy

Asked by hoffababy at 9:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2008 in Pregnancy

• uhm dipehydramine is not good for you ... but thats my opinion im really into medications and what is and what isnt good for you, and ALOT of people disagree with me, so i would ask your doc if u trust him lol.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 10:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Diphenhydramine is an antihistamine (Benadryl, etc) and is safe for pregnancy. Getting an infection from a bug bite is very unsafe for your baby so treating it by keeping the swelling down is the smartest thing to do. Zinc acetate is just a skin soother which will help the irritation as well.
    Babycenter.com has a chart of safe to use OTC products (http://www.babycenter.com/0_chart-over-the-counter-medications-during-pregnancy_1486462.bc)
    Hope that helps!
    Anonymous