Anyone else have a health obsessed friend?

My family and I are staying with a friend & her family (which I am very thankful for, my husand was laid off from his job & we lost our home because my pay just wasn't enough to save it) and until we moved in I never realized that she was so obssessed with what she (and her family) eats. I didn't even know people were so caught up in what they eat. Breakfast is always the same....whole grain hot cereal & a probiotic drink with cinnamon, honey & vanilla (precisily measured amounts) mixed in to both. Lunch is always a salad and every vegetable & herb used has a specific health benefit, an organic yogurt and a glass of organic juice with cinnamon, honey & vanilla (precisily measured amounts) mixed in with the yogurt & juice. Supper is more "relaxed" but just barely....everything she cooks with has a specific health benefit. It seems so obsessive to me. There's no variety and I am not sure that I believe that honey, vanilla & garlic REALLY act as natural anitbiotics or that cinnamon helps your digestion or cholesterol levels but she swears by these things. Is she right or just a little off?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• It does seem a tad overzealous, but way too many Americans are on the other extreme end of the spectrum. I'd rather be around someone like your friend than someone who was constantly stuffing her face with processed garbage, fried foods, etc. As long as her attitude towards food as fuel for her body remains healthy, then I say kudos to her on being committed to not filling up on trash food.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:06 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• She is a little crazy about her health but good for her for being so strict and healthy, I would love to live with someone like that just so I can learn for myself how to be a better eater
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 2:40 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Good for her. She'll out live you, people SHOULD be concerned with what they put in their bodies... Americans have the most screwed up diets the world has seen. Its sad, and frightening that your friend could be labeled nuts for being conscious of what she consumes.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:40 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• It just seems a little odd to be so obsessed and it's affected her oldest dd. She has 17yo and then she also has a 5yo and a 3yo. her 17yo doesn't go out and do things with other teens like grab a bite to eat, instead she and her friends come to her house and cook meals because it's healthier that way. They spend the money they'd spend out eating to buy ingredients and have cooking parties. What teens think that way? I know adults do it but teenagers? Her 17yo literally threw a fit at me when her 3yo sister ate A chicken nugget that my 3yo dd gave to her. She told me that they didn't care what we ate but would appreciate us not poisoning her sister. That's when it hit me at how obsessed they were. We can't have soda, pre-made foods, koolaid, etc. in the house because they don't want their LO's to be influenced. We are hoping to have our place by the 1st of the years. We appreciate their kindness but miss our freedoms.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:44 PM on Dec. 5, 2010