Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are the steps of revoking another parents rights??

I am wanting my ex to have his rights revoked so my husband can adopt him. My ex isnt cooperating with me. I dont have $700 to come up with a lawyer sooo does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do??

Answer Question

Asked by CindyJ1982 at 12:35 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Adoption

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • If your ex will not sign over custody to you and you can not get a lawyer then I would go to the court house and see if there is anything you can do. I am not sure if you can unless you can prove that his rights should be revoked.

    Good Luck

    Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:38 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

  • Unless you can prove that he is an unfit parent there is nothing you can do. He is his son too and there is no easy way around that. You could always sit him down and let him know that there is a plus side for him in the whole deal. Tell him he can see his son but will no longer have to worry about the financial part of it.

    Answer by Steph319 at 12:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

  • Is he a horrible father? Does he pay his child support? Does he have contact with your son? In my state, if the non custodial parent doesn't pay his child support and has NO contact with the child, then the step parent can legally adopt. Without the biological parent's consent. But, no matter what, you'll need a lawyer and have to go to court.

    Answer by AuntieM at 12:40 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

  • The low life pays child support when he wants to but he has NO contact with my son at all.

    Answer by CindyJ1982 at 12:59 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

  • If he won't sign, you would have to prove him to be unfit. Check with your state's laws--they're all different. It seems to be pretty hard to prove someone unfit in the experiences I've had with people in my life.

    Answer by orangeorbie at 1:09 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

  • It is not up to you to take away his rights. It has to be done through the courts.
    I think that is horrible what you want to do..

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

  • well my husband and i were on the other end of this situation. his ex continually denied my husbands visits with his son and then turned around and tried to say he wasnt bothering to come over and see him, saying he should "bang down the door" in order to see his son. she wanted to make him look like a deadbeat so her husband could adopt him. she even whined about the amount of money she spent on the lawyer and how awful of my husband not to cooperate and give up his son. you will have to come up with absolute physical proof of abuse, neglect, or abandonment in order to revoke his rights. have you tried just asking him if he doesnt want to see his child if he will sign away his rights?

    Answer by sunfreezeinmi at 1:28 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

  • Your first step would be to contact a lawyer. But unless you can prove as the ladies have said above, it's pretty much impossible.

    Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 3:52 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

  • It is very difficult to revoke another parent's rights, and you better make sure you can live with your decision to even pursue such a matter. You would have to prove him an unfit father, child support has NOTHING to do with custody, nothing at all. You would need documented proof of abuse, trauma, etc., in order to win (really lose) at something like this.

    Wanting your new husband to adopt you son isn't a good enough reason to terminate his father's rights.

    Answer by Gilagirl at 8:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

  • Can't your husband be his father without having to adopt him? Is he only willing to care and love him if he is able to adopt him?
    Regardless of the kind of man you see your ex as, have you considered he is still a vital part of who your son is? Half of your son's roots and heritage came from him and I, personally, don't think either you or your husband should be the the one to decide for him to separate him from that.
    How about your current husband loving your son, without adoption, and your son being able to make a decision about his father when he is ready, not when you are.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.