I'm a new stepmom. Please help.

I know being the steparent means no rights. What are the roles a steparent has?

Averylee85

Asked by Averylee85 at 2:45 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Care for & love them like your own children but DO NOT over step your boundaries like telling them "Call me mom" That may piss off the REAL mother and or her family so keep it at STEP-mom.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 2:47 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• What do you mean 'no rights'?

You are a human being, capable of giving respect and capable of expecting it. I have always felt that whatever you do that is out of genuine respect for someone else's basic humanity can never take you very far wrong, in any challenging situation.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:48 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I let my step son dictate what our relationship is. And yes, you do have rights. When your stepchild is with you, you are responsible for their well being and are able to sign permission slips, get them medical care when needed and things like that. Let the child be your guide, they will usually respond better to a step parent that way and you will get a lot further if they aren't under pressure.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:53 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Oh yes, love the darlings like your own kids, but don't EVER, EVER expect them to treat YOU like a parent. Sure. That attitude works for all of like a second.

Here's what I did, and being in this blended family situation for the last 11 years, well, I think that I've done well since I'm still married and the kids don't hate me. I love them, but I never, ever had any thoughts as to loving them like my own. Why? Because they aren't. Make sure that you put your marriage and the relationship you have with yuor husband above everything else. Leave dealing with his ex up to him. And don't get sucked into the "let's be friends" crap and invite drama.
    lisa37743

Answer by lisa37743 at 3:00 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• show them the same love and care you would your own. i know my step kids are not my kids but i love themas they were. i take care of them and we have a trusting relationship. actually i was shown just yesterday how much my dsd trust me when she called me and sked me to tell her dad that she just got her period because she was to nervous to tell him. lol.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 4:21 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• My childrens stepmother does not have the right to sign anything concerning my children or take them to the doctors. my ex does that. It is my court order that only my ex and i have rights. To say that a stepmother does is wrong. My childrens stepmother is mean to my children not everyones is so nice.
    seashore29

Answer by seashore29 at 11:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2010