suggestions for chapter books to read with an 8 yr old boy?

rebeccadac

Asked by rebeccadac at 3:06 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• for a boy probably goosebumps
    Anonymous

• whats he into?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:08 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Star Wars and I DO not want to read chapter books on THAT! LOL but he loves Titanic and ghost stories...
    rebeccadac

Comment by rebeccadac (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• What does he like? Are you looking for things for him to read or for you to read to him?

Getting kids interested in books that are in a series is a great way to get them hooked on books. The Magic Tree house series is a good way to start getting kids reading on their own. They're short, easy and full of action. To read to him, Percy Jackson is really cool right now. The Diary of a Wimpy Kid books are also well liked and more of a quick read. Personally I love all Rohl Dahl's books. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, The Witches... he has tons that are wacky and fun.

Another trend in children's literature is graphic novels. They are a good way to build up to reading real chapter books on their own.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 3:11 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• R.L. Stine has a series called Mostly Ghostly. I'm not sure if it's for older kids, but it's worth checking out.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 3:13 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Yes RL Stine would be good. Maybe A Christmas Carol! (a children's version) Also consider the Boxcar Children Series.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:28 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• goosebumps
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:18 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I was going to suggest Magic Tree House and Percy Jackson, but someone beat me to it!

Answer by missanc at 4:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Captain Underpants series, and Diaries of a Wimpy Kid series. My kids are really good readers but they even have trouble getting started on a new book. So, I will read a chapter out of it, in my best dramatic voice - Then they usually will read the rest of the book on their own.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 5:03 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Check out www.readkiddoread.com An amazing website for kids books started by James Patterson. Lists books by age and interest. Magic treehouse, BoxCar Children, Captain Underpants, Diary of a Wimpy Kid. You can always have HIM pick out books that HE is interested in. The best way to instill a love of reading, is letting the child pick out the book, even if you don't like the book or topic.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:26 PM on Dec. 5, 2010