His teacher asked him if it was too hard and if he was going to quit now!!

So last night I took my 5yr old son to the TaeKwonDoe Academy to try out tumbling and at first he said I can't do it and sat down and crossed his legs and said I quit, but then the instructor said to him "Joey if you say I can't one more time I'm going to send you over there with your mom, you'll never be able to do anything if all you say is I can't" that was great for joey, after that he didn't say it again, everything he was asked to do he attempted, but here is the problem...one of the parents of the kids that were there is also a student teacher in the computer lab at Joey's school and she was telling me how Joey says he can't when they are playing this odyssy(sp) game bc to move on you have to beat each level and she says its normal bc they get bored, ,...

momof2andloveit

Asked by momof2andloveit at 12:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• cont...but then after they are done Joey was standing by her and she asked if he had fun and he kind of looked at her and he was panting obviously tired and turned around and walked over by a friend of mine(i think he may have been a little confused last night was the first time we had actually seen her there)but then she said to him what is it too hard are you going to quit now? He didn't even say anything to her, not a word. Now I'm not sure what to do, I am considering going in today and observing the computer lab to see what else she says to my child or the other ones. What would you do?
    momof2andloveit

Answer by momof2andloveit at 12:44 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• i would talk to my son and ask him what he thinks about his comp class. sounds like he is being lazy to me. i dont see what is hard about a comp game that would make him out of breathe.

i would tell him he cant quit everything he tries and get to the source of it.
    Anonymous

• So she was basically taunting him? Umm maybe you just need to tell her that he needs encouragement instead of being taunted. Maybe also have a talk with him and boost his confidense on a regular basis so that he will know he can do anything he sets his mind to.
    Anonymous

• But I also wonder...Why was he out of breath during a computer game? I agree with the other anonymous on that. He definintly needs some encouragement and motivation...It's just a game.
    Anonymous

• she wasn't talking about the computer class this happened last night at a tumbling class completely separate other than the fact that the student teacher who works in the computer lab was there
    momof2andloveit

Answer by momof2andloveit at 12:52 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• sorry I can see how it got confusing but she said that to him after he was done with tumbling not the computer game, my son loves to play computer games and if a computer game made him out of breath I wouldn't be sitting here asking this question we would be seeing a doctore
    momof2andloveit

Answer by momof2andloveit at 12:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• LOL i was confused by that too.
    Anonymous

• Talk to him about not saying, "I can't" and actually trying. I ask my stepson, "did you really try?" Usually he hasn't. He only gets to quit AFTER he's given it a good try.

He says he can't do things. I gently say "Are you a little baby and can't do this?" After he says he's not, I say, "If you want to be a big boy you need to act like one. You can do it if you just try." He makes a big production but gets it done - then I act surprised that he was able to do it. ("I can't believe it. You did that all by yourself? You said you couldn't!") He doesn't get to say I can't or I quit.
    In your case: "I thought you said you couldn't do that poomse, or kick. I just saw you do something really cool. What was THAT? Was that a.. a roundhouse kick?"

Talk to the teacher about saying things like, "are you going to quit?" Saying it like that makes him think he has a choice and if something is "too hard" he'll choose to quit.
    Anonymous

• I would talk to him about saying he can't. I have always taught my children they can do anything they can as long as they try. If he is starting now with the I can't then when things get harder he is just going to give up.

As far as the computer teacher is concerned, I would not worry. I would talk to your son about the class and see what he says, but at this point I do not think I would go in.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:56 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• That just angers me and I wasn't even there!! I cannot believe a teacher figure would talk so negatively to your son!! That would really piss me off that I would of said something to her right then and there. She does not need to taunt your child! I would explain the situation to the school principal or whoever they want you to talk to and ask that maybe they have someone sit in on that class and observe or maybe let you. As far as your child saying " I can't" Is he shy? I used to have that problem with saying I can't around other people b/c I was too shy. but for the computer class part.. maybe he had problems with it once and got frustrated. I would just sit down and talk to him.. tell him to do his best and that if he gets frustrated just take a minute and maybe count to 5 and try again.
    Jessnzach

Answer by Jessnzach at 8:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2008