praying

I have a question about praying. My daughter asked me the other day why most people bow their heads when they pray. She said god was in heaven above us, the devil was below where we are looking. Why don't you look up to pray? I didn't really have an answer for her. Does anyone know why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Out of reverance. When we people are in the presence of important people(like to a king or queen) we bow to show reverance. The same when we talk with God. That's how I see it anyway.
    matthew9_22

Answer by matthew9_22 at 3:13 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• It is a humble position to kneel and bow your head. I'm not sure how I would explain that to a young child though... I gues same as people bow there heads and kneel in front of a king in her cartoons.... God is our king and some people like to show him respect by bowing our heads.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:15 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Respect for God.
    imuney

Answer by imuney at 3:17 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I agree - its out of humility and reverence, of respect. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:21 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• The answer I've always heard is that it's a sign of humility.  I've also heard that people do it in respect for God or to bow their head toward their heart.

Probably any of those are good reasons to give. I've also heard a joke that it's easier to fall asleep that way and not get caught too. ;-)

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Well, I don't bow my head to pray, I don't see a need to. But I think it goes back to the idea of bowing as a sign of respect or humility, not out of looking towards God. However many people do "look to the heavens" when they pray, others do not... It's a personal thing.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:36 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• http://www.revelife.com/694206757/why-do-christians-kneel-when-they-pray/
    matthew9_22

Answer by matthew9_22 at 3:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Respect and reverence for God.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 8:50 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• He is in our hearts :-)
    Heaven is within us....
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:25 PM on Dec. 5, 2010