Why do they??

Question....why is it that whenever they induce you they give you the pitocin first instead of just trying to break your water & avoid the medicine?! Or has anyone ever just had the doctor break their water & not have to get the medicine? Just curious...I'm scheduled to be induced on Wednesday bc my due date was a week ago & wanted to hear others stories/opinions! :)

ProudMommyOH3

Asked by ProudMommyOH3 at 3:30 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• In my case- I wasn't dilated enough to have my water broken. But I don't know why they don't do it that way anyway. Although, some people have their water break and their labor stalls and then they still need pitocin. So who knows. the human body is a mysterious thing!
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 3:32 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Breaking your water doesn't start your contractions, generally. If they just break your water, they are opening you up to infection and other complications before your contractions are even started. Inductions tend to be long (mine were 41 hours and 36 hours) and having my water broken for that long would only cause more problems.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• With my 1st born my water broke on its own and by about the 8th hour of labor I was stuck at 4cm so they put me on pitocin but by hour 9 the idiots finally listened to me that she was Frank breach (legs flexed up with head between & presenting butt first) by hour 10 I had a cesarean.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 3:35 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• WIth both my girls I was given pitocin, since my body doesn't do labor on its own. WIth my oldest the doc had to break my water, if you can have that done in the tub do, so much fluid. With my second it broke on it's own, so preferred. But I don't think all women need the amount of pit that I had. Talk to your doctor.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 3:40 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Because breaking water doesn't thin or dilate the cervix at all. That's done by contractions.

If your baby isn't ready to be born yet, it may be because your baby is not fully developed yet. Not sure what the rush is, but if you conceived late in your cycle, rather than early, your baby could very well be a week or 2 premature today.

It amazes me how 'important' the calendar is, when it comes to having babies. Almost as if there is no way to have a baby without first getting out a calendar. How do sheep manage it?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:46 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I was never given pitocin my doctor broke my water and every thing went smoothly it may have took 4hrs to from 4cm to complete. They had the meds on stand-by but I didn't need it.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 3:49 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Wow Lindaclement, it's not that important, it was a question, thanks. This is my third child, and I choose to do everything natural like I did with my second, my water broke on it's own with her & was just curious to know others stories. Really do not think my baby is premature seeing I'm 7 days past my due date! Other than that...thanks ladies for your stories! :)
    ProudMommyOH3

Comment by ProudMommyOH3 (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Oh, no, there are many different routes to induce. Pitocin isn't always first, or even always used.
    If baby isn't deeply engaged, AROM can be dangerous (cord compression, prolapse, infection). There is no need to have broken water to birth a baby, so leaving it intact as long as possible is generally safer.

Why induce?
    The timing and the reasoning can factor into the route.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:10 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Your baby isn't premature as far as the calender goes, but developmentally your baby & body aren't really ready (yet) so forcing labor *is* premature. Although you're likely to have a decent experience, there are babies who are born after the due date with preemie complications.
    The baby isn't ready until (s)he says so.
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:12 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Thanks doulala, you always have good advice! I am just worried if I go too far over my due date the baby will be too big to deliver vaginally. I've heard of that happening before, it just makes me nervous, but I completely agree with everything you're saying :) My last baby was 8 lbs. 11oz., so she was pretty big, lol.
    ProudMommyOH3

Comment by ProudMommyOH3 (original poster) at 8:37 PM on Dec. 5, 2010