At what age should a child NOT have a bottle?

Today when I was at the mall I saw this child that may have been about 3 she was about the size of my 3 yr old so I'm just guessing. She was sucking on a bottle. Seriously? She was walking talking just like any normal 3 year old. I see this way to often. Why is it so hard for parents to give their toddle a regular cup or even a sippy cup?

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 3:34 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• ALL bottles go in the trash on te first birthday in my house! I feel you on that, it annoys me to see things like that or a kid in a stroller who's feet are scraping the ground GET YOUR BIG ASS OUT OF THAT STROLLER & WALK! Then when the kid ends up obese the parents want to cry or say they have a thyroid problem? Um no they're fat because you pushed them around in a stroller with a twinkie in one hand and a bottle in the other til they were in kindergarten!
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 3:42 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• The bottle is hurting the babies mouth. its called bottle rot and it is when all the sugars from juice, milk, soda or whatever you give them sits on there teeth..
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 3:39 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• horrible. no its not hurting you but it does hurt the childs mouth!
    Sheraymonet

Answer by Sheraymonet at 3:43 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Vote me down all you all want, but I don't see how someone else's parenting skills (or lack there of) are cause for you to judge. I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate someone judging you. And you might think that you wouldn't give them cause, but I'm sure some judgemental person would be able to find something.
    Besides, just because the child looked and sounded normal, doesn't mean that she may have not had any issues. I, personally, am tired of people judging my parenting skills because they think my son looks normal. Unless you know all the fact, please keep quiet.
    And yes, I'm a bit bitter today. Some judgemental person commented about something they knew nothing about when we were out and about today.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 3:45 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• i think maybe not past three but one answer one years old come of it seriously my son in 16 months and has a night bottle i see it like this and this maybe because im young i dont know if someone come and took the one thing that he or she has known for 12 months that gets you to sleep and comfots you what would you say you wouldnt apraiciate it when there old enough to undrstand that a bottle is for babys its time to be a grown up surley thats the better way thats how i will be doing it my sons happyness is imprtant again as well as his health i get this whole bottle rot and yes it happens but if using a bottle sensibly why is there a problem surley not ive spoken to my sons dentist about this and one bottle in the everning should not effect him.
    jacksmuma

Answer by jacksmuma at 4:44 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• cause they don't want there kids to grow up. My mom wanted to keep my sister on a bottle til she didn't want it. She got rid of it at 4.

My boys stopped having a bottle at 12 months they started having a sippy and now they use regular cups
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 3:37 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I feel the same way. 3 year old should be using regular cups. Or at least a sippy.

Answer by louise2 at 3:37 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• No longer than a year. My son was weaned off by the the time he was a year and this child I'm pregnant with will also. Prolonged use of a bottle is bad for their teeth.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:44 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I would say 3 or 4 is too old. And they don't really need to be carrying it around. Well, probably not. My oldest used a bottle until he was 3, but mostly when he was sick. It was one way for me to keep fluids in him because he didn't care for a sippy cup as much.

On another note, my son was as big as most 3 year olds when he was 18 months. So you never know!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:46 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I don't there should be a set age. My oldest had his till he was 2.5 years old. However, after his first birthday or so it was an at home thing only and for milk only. I had mine till I was 4. But honestly a sippy is no better than a bottle except it just LOOKS more grown up.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 3:50 PM on Dec. 5, 2010