if my dd has pink eye is there something over the counter I can give her?

I can't afford to go to the doctor and I am pretty sure that is what she has. I seen they had stuff at walgreens for pink eye does it work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Kids' Health

• First off, the OP never said this was about a baby - for all we know it could be a 14 yr old. Second, OP = I had pink eye this past summer and I went to urgent care because I couldn't get in to my regular doc that day and I thought that if left untreated it could affect my vision. The Dr. at urgent care told me this: If I get the prescription for the drops, it would take 7 days to "recover". If I didn't take the drops (and did nothing) it would take 8 days to recover. Which did I want to do? Um, yeah I chose the 2nd option! I am a big baby when it comes to putting drops in my eyes. I asked if that was ok to do with my kids if they get it - he said yes. Nothing would happen. No harm would come from NOT giving them drops. So, I didn't take the drops, I healed fine - no vision problems. And with extra efforts on hand washing - my kids didn't get it.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 7:48 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• You may have a remedy in your fridge at this very moment! A home remedy my mom always used for us & still uses to this day is regular milk just take a dropper and drip 1-2 drops in her eye every 3-4 hours. She may cry a bit but it works.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 3:46 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• how long do you have to do the milk remidy for?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:54 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• If it's bacterial, it can actually clear up on it's own. It will last 24-48 hours. We just had it and the doc told me this. You can also use warm milk. Warm the milk in the microwave, soak a a washcloth and put it on her eye. Do that a couple times a day to help relieve the pain.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:37 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• thanks everyone I called her doctor and they called in eye drops without even having to see her
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• NO!! Untreated pink eye can lead to much worse problems including blindness, get her treated.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Are you breastfeeding or do you know anyone who is? Breast milk put in the eye cures pink eye.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:04 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• i think you have to get a rx
    sorry
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 3:45 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• You need opthalmalic bacteria ointment. I do not think you can get it over the counter, but ask your druggist.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:45 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• If you can not afford to go to dr's office go to the ER and they will bill you and you can then make arrangements to pay. Get the baby medical attention!
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 3:47 PM on Dec. 5, 2010