Beets?

Anyone know something to do with beets?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You can boil them and season with butter, salt, and pepper-easiest thing to do. Also you can grate them raw and add to salads-more nutrition that way. And if you boil them and are so inclined you can use the water afterward fo highlight your hair! It actually works-I did it one time. Just let the water cool and put some on your hair in random spots and comb through. It lasts about a month but fades a bit with each washing.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 4:10 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Since I LOVE beets, yes...

Shred them and use them raw similarly to coleslaw, or just as an addition to tossed salad.

Boil them whole and slice them and serve them the way they are...or toss them in a couple tablespoons of vinegar and a couple tablespoons of sugar (called 'harvard' that way)... or with some prepared mustard.

Peel them and roast, whole or quartered, after tossing with oil and, if you want, herbs or spices. I like them done with olive oil, basil and oregano. Some people like rosemary.

Peel them, oil and barbeque them, like you would potatoes. I parboil them in the microwave to shorten the cooking time.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:16 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Oh I almost forgot-if the leaves and stems are attached you can cut them up and stir fry them or just add them to a salad raw as well. I love beets too. :-)
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 4:42 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• add to salads
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:29 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• If they're in a can - drain and eat. It's the only way my kids like them.
    Anonymous

• I don't like beets, but my mom roasts them in the oven and loves them and my hubby will put ranch dressing on them from the can.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 6:17 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• you can boil them and add them to a salad for a nice twist.
    you can boil them and add them to boiled potatoes, tuna, a spritz of lemon and a bit of chopped onions and delish!!
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 6:40 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I love beets! My favorite way to eat them is boiled in apple cider and vinegar with carmelized onions.

This salad is outstanding!!

Spring Greens With Beets & Goat Cheese

2/3 C. pecan halves
    3 T. balsamic vinegar divided
    1 T. water
    1 T. sugar
    1/4 C. olive oil
    2 T. maple syrup
    1 t. whole grain mustard
    1/8 t. salt
    1 (5 oz) pkg. spring mix salad greens
    1 (14 oz) can sliced beets drained
    1 C. crumbled goat cheese

In a large heavy skillet, cook the pecans, 1 T. vinegar and water over medium heat until nuts are toastd, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar. Cook and stir 2-4 minutes or until sugar is melted. Spread on foil to cool. In a small bowl combine the oil, syrup, mustard, salt and remaining vinegar. Refrigerate until serving. In a large bowl combine the salad greens and dressing, toss to coat. Divide among 8 salad plates. Top with beets, goat cheese and glazed pecans.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:03 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I am not a beet eater. That is one thing I never acquired a taste for.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 8:06 AM on Dec. 6, 2010