student loans

For those of you that took that route. Did you have trouble paying it back after you started to work.

arenad

Asked by arenad at 3:50 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• My ex husband is deep in student loan debt. Thing you have to remember is the monthly payments don't start after you found a job they start as soon as you graduate. Many people are having a hard time finding work in their desired profession and elsewhere. My ex-husband graduated in May, has to pay about $210 a month to pay off his student loans and is still unemployed. He had to move back in with his parents and he's 36 years old.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:52 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I did at first. I got an extension on paying it back. Wants the money started rolling in I got it payed off.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 5:03 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Once not wants. sorry
    Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 5:04 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• try not to go there if u can help it
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:56 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I agree with san. Especially in this economy. Student loans are for life they aren't bankrupt-able, they don't go away if you get divorced, lose your job, or have a million other bills you have to pay as well. There is also no guarantee that you'll graduate or even that you'll be able to find a job after you graduate, let alone that the the job will be enough to cover your student loans.

Anyway we started off with student loans. Ended up with about $20,000 before we'd even finished our Freshman year. the interest rate might be 'low' but with that amount in student loans it's hard to pay off. We decided to go to school and take two or three classes a time (year round) so that we could pay cash. Like the old saying goes, "It's better to be safe than sorry."
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:06 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I had a Pell Grant, and didn't have to pay back anything. A friend of mine is halfway through med school and has over $200,000 in student loans. She'll be paying that off forever.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:17 PM on Dec. 6, 2010