• In the Spotlight:

Just wanted you ladies to know: I just cracked my annual piggy bank and I'm so proud! Also want to pass on the idea.

Every year in december during the christmas shopping I get myself a little piggy bank. You know, one of these that you have to break open with a hammer in the end or use a tin opener.
We live on a tight budget. The idea is to put in 5 - 10 Euro a month (not always possible for me but I aim for it). Just put a little bit aside every month to make sure I have little extra to give my family a nice christmas.
I've done it 2 years in a row and ended up this time with 42 Euro and ONE cent. lol Which is ... just a little under 50$, I think. It's not an awful lot, but it's something and I'm really proud of it.
I thought I pass on the idea. Maybe some of you will try it.

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 3:51 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• AWESOME!!!

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 4:00 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• i like that idea. we did something similiar a few years ago before we went on vacation, and since i'm in charge of finances i made sure we secretly scrimped on everything, made groceries stretch, and bought cheaper and all and was able to save around $350 in about a 4 month span. But my husbands work had a bad habit of forgetting to pay him for vacation, and then paying him late for it, so we needed that much to take the place of the work check that was gonna be late. But i never even thought of doing a christmas fund like that. Thanks for the idea.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 3:58 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• When I moved in with my fiance he had pennies in every drawer in the house so one day I got penny rollers and started rolling! We took it to the bank & it was enough to buy all of us tickets to our local theme park!!
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 3:55 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I do this with our change. I put all our change in a big bottle bank. After about a year or so what really dosen't look like much really is! Last time it was only half way full and it ended up being over $200!!
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 3:56 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• P.S. And it's SO much fun to count it in the end! lol
    BeachMom81

Comment by BeachMom81 (original poster) at 3:52 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Good for you!! That is a great idea.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• this is a great idea. think i will start that on Jan 1st
    sonsmom

Answer by sonsmom at 4:03 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• My sister and her SO had enough change saved up that it paid for a nice new washer and dryer when theirs died. I haven't been able to save lately, but at one time, we had enough change to buy a week's worth of groceries.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:04 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I do need to get a bank that you can't get into though...dh has a habit of swiping my change. And if i put dollars in there they are gone the next day lol
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 4:12 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• We have a jar kind of like that, I cashed it in a few weeks ago and it was about $80. DH has piggy bank that he puts only quarters into and with it completely full we usually get about $75 with it.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 4:47 PM on Dec. 5, 2010