how can I get my 2 yr old on a NORMAL sleeping schedule again?

My DD was just sick for a week and a half, and she didnt want to sleep. So she would stay up til 5am and wake up at 3 pm. Now she's not sick anymore, but still in the schedule how do I fix it? please help with no bashing please.

SydneysMommy85

Asked by SydneysMommy85 at 4:26 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think as long as you stick with a good routine and a good schedule, she'll go back to her regular sleeping schedule. It might take a week or two, it's hard with little ones for some reason. Me? I go right back to sleeping like normal! Kids? Not s'much! Lol! Just be patient and stay as consistent with bedtime as possible!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 4:29 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• slow and steady. I've found that many times my kids take a few weeks to get back to normal after being ill or going on vacation or whatever happens to disrupt their normal schedule.
    I would try to get her up at her old normal time and put her down at her normal time and most of all resist the urge to make life easy on yourself by giving in and letting her get out of bed or sleep late.
    Good luck!
    aebaby

Answer by aebaby at 4:30 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• You can only shift this about an hour at a time, and it will probably take weeks to fix completely.

Pick an earlier time to get up, an hour or two at the most, and expect the child to need to nap for a while... but pick a time and be up and active, in an out of the room the child's in, chatting away, singing, making strongly flavoured foods that smell good...

Wake her gently but firmly, dress her, feed her and take her out. To a playground, to the library, to the store... a museum or whatever...

At bedtime, turn everything off, and lie down in the dark. Pretend to be asleep. In the morning, turn everything back on, and be up and active at a slightly earlier time... and continue.

She's going to have some jetlag, but the trick to that is to stay awake as long as possible, to be going back to sleep as tired as possible to 'reset' her body clock.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:48 PM on Dec. 5, 2010