Where to put all your children when they dont fit within your site :(

Okay i knwo to some i am going to sound crazy.. haha, but ive been a stay at home mama every since the first was born.. she is now 5. her bedroom is across the hall from ours, but she only lasts all night in it when her step sister, who is 3, stays the night with us. We have a 1 yr old, who is still in our bed..but we are getting ready to break that. only because our son is due in a few months.. We have two bedrooms upstairs, and then one downstairs which is the play room right now.. however, when our son comes we are going to put him in the crib from DAY ONE! ive never done that! but i know its the safest and i just need to get over it!! I worry so much about them when i cannot see them all night.. esp when theyre young i would constantly get up and make sure my daughters were breathing.. SIDS freaked me out for no reason at all.

Anyway, Im at a loss of what to do now.. i refuse to let my 5 yr old sleep in the bedroom downstairs from mine.. i could never sleep not knowing if she is okay.. (she has some health issues that are pretty serious at times, and sleep walks a lot) Do i have a toddler bed, crib for the new baby, all in mine & my hubbys room? Im also very nervous to stick my 1 yr old in the room w/ my 5 yr old because im afraid they will get up and fall down the stairs.......

what do you mothers do with two story houses? (the paranoid moms, like myself)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't keep all (4) of my children within my sight during bedtime hours and I never have. It sounds like it's time to decide who will sleep where and then do it ... because crowding everyone all into one room is not a healthy way to approach this.
    So you have: daughter - age 5, step daughter - age 3, child (boy? girl?) - age 1, and newborn boy on the way. How many bedrooms do you have? Perhaps one room for the boys and one room for the girls? There are monitors, there are gates, and of course there is teaching ... all ways to help keep children safe. Parents need sleep, and children need to learn to be comfortable in their own space too.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 4:51 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• SIDS is freaky - you had every reason to be freaked out by it. They make a monitor now that senses baby's breathing and sounds an alarm when they don't breathe. It is pricey, but worth it for the peace of mind. It is called the Angel Care monitor.

Obviously put a baby gate at the top of the stairs then you won't have to worry about them falling down in the night. I think the one year old and the 5 year old could room together if you have baby proofed everything in and out of sight. And put video monitors in their room. It could work!
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 4:41 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Did someone call it crib death? Did I miss something?
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 5:08 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• My daughter sleeps on a different floor from us and has since she was 6 months old. We still use the monitor to hear when she is awake (she's 3) and we used the covers for the door knobs for a while so she couldn't get out of her room and roam the house, but we have since taken those off.

I too was a bit paranoid when DH and I moved back upstairs, but it is no different than when we were across the hall. You aren't watching them all night when they are in your room, so it really isn't that different.
    NHGal

Answer by NHGal at 4:45 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I am watching them all night in my room.. hahah!! downstairs bedroom is just not an option for me, i couldnt do it
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• It's not paranoia when its concern about your children and their safety. Its called good parenting. Give the boys one room and the girls one room. Keep the newborn in a crib in your room till your comfortable. I kept my son in my room till his first birthday. I never let him sleep in my bed unless he was sick and now he loves being in his nursery. He has his space and he sleeps like an angel. Separate rooms are an adjustment for the parents as much as the kids. Get some high-tech monitors for your children's rooms. Use baby gates and other baby-proofing products, enough so that you can get a little peace of mind. You need your sleep and your children will feel you stress if you don't get sleep. Do anything you have to in order to feel comfortable enough to get some sleep, as long as it doesn't involve having all your children in your room! Good luck!
    jessflynn

Answer by jessflynn at 5:32 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• All three are girls.. the baby coming in a few months is a boy! my step daughter is here and stays the nights only ever other weekend.

Looks like im just going to have to put a baby gate at their bedroom door, and then one at the top of the steps.. ill stick the 1yr old in the bedroom w/ the 5 yr old and keep the new baby in his crib in my room. Only 3 bedrooms--we plan on buying a new, bigger house.. and im going to make sure its all one level(: haha! But for now.. ill just have to get the monitors and learn to adjust... i know it will be better for all of us once we get in the routine.. just figuring out the best way to do it is what is killing me... im afraid the older girls will be upset that a new baby came along and now they are forced to sleep in their beds in different rooms.

Thanks for the ideas!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:44 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• It isn't called 'crib death' because cribs are the safest place for infants to be.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:04 PM on Dec. 5, 2010