I see no reason why my 6 yr old needs to be online when all he wants to do is...

look at youtube videos about scary things and goosebumps.
He refuses to go on the educational sites, he just wants to look at youtube.
His dad says to give in but why should i? I am the parent and youtube is a waste of brain space

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• there's some little kid things you can do WITH him, tho, like Club Penguin, but alone..ya he doesn't need to do that
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 4:40 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• He's freaking 6 years old. Let him be a child for a while. He gets education cramped down his throat at school and with homework. CHILDREN are allowed to do more things then educational stuff.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:38 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• i wouldnt freely let my 6 yr old on youtube.. just by typing in a simple word that means nothing, can spark things to come up that arent right for their eyes!
    mohme2three

Answer by mohme2three at 4:39 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Monitor what he views on Youtube. Problem solved.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 4:40 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• What is he watching on you tube? There are a lot of cartoons on there that kids like to watch - not just "stuff not appropriate for children". I would not refuse him until you KNOW what he wants to watch. My kids are older and watch Inuyasha on you tube. There are many full episodes of cartoons on you tube. Find out what he watches....then monitor it.

It's ALWAYS a good idea to have the computer out in an area where people pass by frequently to ensure appropriate content is being looked at no matter what age the kids are.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 4:46 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I'm with you. There are WAY too many things on YouTube that a 6 year old doesn't need to see.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:37 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I don't let my 12 year old look on that site.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 4:40 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Just because you don't see it as learning or educational doesn't mean he isn't or it isn't. Children naturally have a love for learning. The education system makes it boring and forced. I would let him and like someone else said monitor..because it is very easy to just click click away and end up on something that really is not even for an adult's eyes let alone a kids.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:43 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Yeah also maybe instead of banning him..because that makes a site look like its important and this is more desirable in their eyes, why not try getting him interested in other sites like what Zoeyis suggests Club Penguin etc. There are lots of them out there.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:45 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Your opinion of his taste is a bit disrespectful. While you have no idea what he's gaining from it, you have not considered the possibility that what is 'fun' is also, almost always, natural learning. If you thought to ask him you might be surprised at what he thinks he's gaining from them. You could at least sit next to him and watch with him, so you have some kind of contact to build a conversation about...

'Educational' sites are often (and I mean 'almost exclusively') tremendously dull, patronizing and painful to spend any amount of time looking at. Kind of like 'educational' games, which are neither 'educative' nor 'games' in any sense of the word.

He's being force-fed 'learning' all day at school. Does anyone else have to work all the time they're awake?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:57 PM on Dec. 5, 2010