"How did he get that scratch?" "How did she get that dime size bruise?"

I'm getting really sick of my family asking these questions to me. They act like I beat my children when the most I have ever done is spank them once in a while. They are freaking 3 and 1. They are going to get bumps and bruises and scratches from time to time. My mother saw a scratch on my son. She freaked. Funny thing is he got it when he was with HER. Her cat got him when he was trying to play with it. My daughter has a bruise on her leg, she sliped on ice while running but no a fall wouldn't cause a bruise, would it?  UGH. Why do people automatically assume abuse when they see the smallest bruise on someone.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 4:53 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Turn it back around on her. Next time she asks, flat out ask her why she's asking.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:10 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• You might like to stop answering the questions.

You're not under any compulsion to answer a critical question, no matter who poses it. Defensiveness makes people more suspicious. Change the subject.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:59 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• she wouldn't want to meet my kids then they always have some kind of scratch or some kind of bruise. Kids get them there is nothing you can do about it
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:55 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I always joke that I should have named my daughter Grace...because she is so "graceful" lol This child falls every 10 steps...lol
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:06 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• You could send her to my house..... I couldnt begin to know where my 2 year old gets all of his bruises. I swear he gets them when he sleeps. IF people ask, I just say, "I dont know from being a little boy?" and change the subject.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:10 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Could you be over reacting to her question. Maybe she is just wondering.
    I know that my kids pediatrician said that a kid that did not get bruised was over protected and that is a form of abuse.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:04 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I'm not over reacting when she ask the same things every time my kids have a new bruise or scratch
    mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Kids fall. They get bruises and scratches all the time. Don't over-react to the questions. Just give a simple answer or no answer at all. Obviously, she had kids so she "should" know what its like but maybe she's forgotten how easily they get hurt. Just keep doing what you're doing and forget about it. People are going to ask stupid questions. Just learn how to deal with it because that's not going to change.
    jessflynn

Answer by jessflynn at 5:45 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Don't feel bad....my 21 month old tripped with his sippy cup in his mouth and cut the inside of his gums.....well his dad freaked at me and said "How could you let him get hurt like that? That's neglect and I won't stand for it" Eh please! Give me a break.
    Anonymous

• I suppose if she makes you made enough, you could tell her 'sure, and you were such a perfect parent. Nothing ever happened to me while growing up. I never got any scratches or bruises.' Something like that.
    When she asked about the scratch, did you tell her he got it when he was with HER? I would have, and made a big deal out of it, just like she does. I would have made her feel bad, too. Then told her that that's exactly what she does, and how does she like it. But, when my mom tries to pull the guilt trip, I do it right back. She realizes it, and stops. She will make a comment about it, too. She knows...
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:38 PM on Dec. 5, 2010