Tax rates to stand.

Their political options limited, Democrats and Republicans appeared to unite Sunday behind the outlines of an economic package that would temporarily extend expiring tax rates as well as jobless benefits for millions of Americans.

Looks like if they both push some compromise can be reached that is relatively sensible for all.

Agreed?

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 4:59 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I haven't seen the news, is there any mention of how they will fund unemployment benefits?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:16 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Agreed. Mainly due to the fact that this compromise is the **only** (in my opinion) way anything would have been achieved in regards to this issue. It would have stayed at a stalemate, to many different people (politicians/special interest/the American people themselves..all for different reasons) had much riding on this and it would have affect many people (in different ways of course).. And right now (to use Snoop's phrase) most people have "Their mind on their money and their money on their mind" because money's tight for many/many is just plain scarce for many/ money is needed by many/and many who have it don't want to let loose of any more of it.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:16 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Will the funding come from unspent stim money?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:21 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 5:31 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• i cant see it
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:34 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Yay!!! For now. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:42 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I agree. Some kind of COMPROMISE is the only way to make all sides happy--or at least content with a temporary solution at this time.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:54 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I hope they do not compromise but that they do find common ground. They should ask business what reasonable time frame they need to act on expansion, capital growth and investment. If you want increased hiring, then businesses need to know what their taxes will be before they take that risk....and that includes that albatross called Obamacare. As far as the deficit is concerned, decreasing the unemployment rate by half will take care of at least half of the deficit. This administration is beyond imbecilic as far as growth is concerned. That is what happens when you listen to socialist-ridden academia instead of the real world of entrepreneurs and companies that create and sustain jobs.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 6:08 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I have only watched one news show and that was this morning. They had not made any decisions as such at that time. Sundays are famous for hearing a dozen or so different views from politicians and others so I'll take it with a grain of salt. I think it would be best for nothing to happen and the Republicans could pass something in early January. It will cost around 120 billion for 1 yr to keep all the rates the same for everyone but the Dems want another 140 billion in trade offs such as continued unemployment payments and a continuation of Obamas making work pay program as well as a couple of other things. So, all while trying to make Republicans look bad they want to add more money to the deficit. I don't want any compromises. I want jobs and nothing the Dems are offering will create them.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:00 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• How to pay for something is of no concern to a Democrat.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:15 PM on Dec. 5, 2010