When do you think its appropriate?

My sister has always let her kids watch movies that I believe to be inappropriate for their age. Now she is letting her 12 year old watch the Alien anthology as well as the Predator movies. She has been letting him watch Lord of the Rings and Star Wars since before he was a year old. Additionally, she has begun to let her 4 year old play video games with her 12 year old. I think it is incredibly important to screen the viewing habits of our children in TV, movies and video games. My sister's 12 year old son is a perfect example of why we should be more selective about what we allow our children to watch. He runs around telling people that he likes violence so if we don't want to talk about violent movies or video games, then we shouldn't talk to him. Seriously?!? Since he said that to me, I have become even more strict about what I'll watch in front of my 18 month old. I truly believe my nephew's exposure to such violent shows from an early age has completely desensitized him and the only people to blame are his parents.

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 5:17 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Lots of people have no idea the effect that what they watch affects them... so they naturally assume that what kids watch will have as little effect on them. It's only fun to see how wrong they are, in the end...

You have no control over this. It would be more useful if you found something valuable to do with the inside of your head. Maybe volunteer at the pediatric hospice?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:19 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I totally agree with you! I'm so careful about what my children are exposed to on TV. I think it really affects their reality ability...if that make sense.
    NaturalMomOfTwo

Answer by NaturalMomOfTwo at 5:22 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• i have a simliar issue between my brothers kid and mine. he thinks its appropriate to let my 3 year old nephew play gun video games and want to "shoot dear" and "shoot the bad guy" plus he has guns in his house. granted he has this crazy huge safe he locks them up in thank GOODNESS. but still i have it and i dont want my boys playing with guns that look like real guns. but i know realistically i can't stop it 100% of the time.
    as for movies and all that i think it depends on the movie, and the maturity level of the child. so idk, i'll have to cross that road when i get to it with my boys
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 5:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I'm sure you're right. Premature exposure to this sort of thing has shown time and time again to be damaging.

And really, it sounds like she's created a monster. Additionally, if he's allowed to speak to adults the way you describe? I'd be informing that 12 year old that not talking to him is fine with me, as I have no intention of having inappropriate discussions with a child. I'd guess that this child needs an adult to tell him what is and isn't ok, he certainly doesn't have one, and I'd expect that when you do this, he'll protest. And that's fine. Only entertain appropriate discussions with him, shut down all others and allow him to hear what is and is not ok. Someone has to show him what is and is not ok ... maybe you'll gave the honor of that role in his life, no matter how limited it may be. (and don't think that because it's very limited that he's not hearing you - it may just take a lot of time to sink in)
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:25 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Yes, I agree. Wake up parents! Something rated for 13 + really is not appropriate for anyone under 12. Yet my 9 year old has friends seeing transformers, GI Joe, Black Knight, Pirates, Avatar, even Iron Man. All of which have really BAD language and violence that no child should be viewing. And parents say, I watch it first....then why in the world would you let your young child see that movie? Blah.

I think the parents who let their child watch these inappropriate movies because they think they are mature, they won't repeat the words, or that it doesn't affect the child are missing the boat-and kidding themselves. I feel this is one of the big contributors to the more out of control, violent and disrespectful behavior in children these days. Furthermore we will see more violent adults because on some level it affects the child psychologically and we are condoning this viewing of violence everyday in young children.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 5:48 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• We are careful about what our daughter watches too, but seriously whats wrong with the original Star Wars series? I saw the first one whch was movie 4 when I was my daughters age..... we watched alot of pbs when she was little but there is only so much you can stomach folks....of course my daughter also loves to read, she's rereading the Chronicles of Narnia.....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 7:47 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• My parents didn't censor what I watched and I've never felt the urge to go around killing people or to hurt anyone. Likewise my kids aren't all that censored. They've seen most of those movies you mentioned (Star Wars has been my son's favorite since he was 5) and he's watching Saving Private Ryan with me right now. He loves anything about the military, especially history of wars and such. He also plays Call of Duty and GTA. He's 9. They love horror movies (mostly zombie ones). The only thing I don't let them watch is a lot of gratuitous sex and extreme violence (like slasher films) and stuff with pointless constant swearing.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:53 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Yes i think you should monitor what your child watches but there a violent people in this world no matter what they do. I know people who di not own a tv and they had a child that went to prision. I think it is up to the person and what choices they want to make.
    seashore29

Answer by seashore29 at 11:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2010