I permed my hair and it didn't perm...I've had one before and it worked fine. My sister said it might be because of the medication i'm on. Is that true?

I take rx migraine and thyroid medication. Could that be the reason why my hair didn't perm? It just left me with frizzy ends and waves.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• did u use a differnt kind of rollers..usually if u use bigger rollers they wont come out as good...but y would u perm your hair thats the worst thing u can do besides stripping it
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 12:59 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Hormones have a lot to do with it too. Are you pregnant? That can cause a perm not to hold. If not it prob is your meds. Have you successfully permed it before you started taking them??
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 1:01 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Yes I have successfully permed it before I took my meds. The thyroid meds are hormone replacement pills though. So maybe that's why? and vadasmom I permed my hair because I like perms. It's not life I do it all the time. I did it once before and it recovered quickly, even now a day later it looks good. I just need the ends trimmed off.
    Anonymous

• Its most likely the meds then. As I said before they tell you not to perm your hair while pregnant b/c it wont hold. Hormones have a LOT to do with it so it seems like thats why its not working for you :(
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• My poor hair :( Now I have to get it cut. I did NOT want to do that.
    Anonymous

• Thyroid meds can definitely affect the outcome of any chemical service. Also, any chemical service may not take right if given during a time that your hormones are in an uproar. This could be pregnancy, puberty, menopause...
    nkasmom

Answer by nkasmom at 8:08 AM on Nov. 7, 2008