Baby Can read??

i recently recieved the baby can read program as a gift, does anyone know how well it works or have any personal experience utilizing it. Im currently letting my 5 year old try it and he seems to really enjoy it but he is 5 so thats common becaus he is learning the sounds now that he is in kindergraten.

Onenamillion

Asked by Onenamillion at 6:12 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• The Today Show had a segment on this product and all the experts agreed it was a waste of money. They interviewed the creator and he refused to answer the questions and just skirted around the issues, he came off looking like a scam artist.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 6:26 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• OMG, those commercials drive me crazy. When that mother says she "plops him down right in front of [the tv]. UGH!

Just read to your kids from the beginning of life! Read with excitement and theatrics when you can - THAT is the best way to encourage your children to read.

FWIW, I am an elementary school teacher
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 6:18 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• It teaches sight reading. I think phonics is better since they have to memorize all of the words they want to read/spell instead of understanding the phonetic pattern.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 6:19 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• yeah i really dont like it and i wouldn't do it with your five year old becaus ei mean its just learning to recongize the word connected with the picture of the for example, cat.
    hes not going to learn the sounds of the letters etc.
    i wouldnt teach my toddlers this because i would be worried they wouldn't learn their phonics. i didnt do well with phonics with i was young and it haunts me to this day. I SUCK at spelling.
    lol if i were you i would sell it but, hey to each their own.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 6:16 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• i always have read to my son when he was a baby and now he loves for us to read together and repeat the events in the story, i agree on just idenifying the words connected to a picture. I had hook on phonics at 7 and my mom made me constantly work on it from 8-11. I can say that it helped me alot, with spelling and reading...but hooked on phonics is completely different.
    Onenamillion

Comment by Onenamillion (original poster) at 6:21 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• it is not at all teaching your kids to READ its teaching them to memorize what that jumble of lines on that card, represents.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 6:22 PM on Dec. 5, 2010