What's a good gift for a 13yr old boy?

My stepson is a gamer, but we are trying to encourage him to be outdoors more often. What's a good gift idea for him for Christmas?

AND - Why does it get harder to buy for kids as they get older???

texassahm

Asked by texassahm at 6:21 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Does he have a basketball hoop? It's expensive, but ours get used every day.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Give him money or a gift card. But wrap it up. It doesnt matter how big or small teenagers love money so they can buy what they really want.
    True_Gator_77

Answer by True_Gator_77 at 6:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• If you know the sport he is into then get him the equipment for it. If hes into baseball then buy a glove, bat, helmet and ball. And so forth. Or just take him to a prof sports game.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• i think it would be best to just get him a gift card or take him to the store with u and have him pick out what he wants but then he has to wait till christmas..... that how my parents did it the older i got.....
    eaglesbaby1

Answer by eaglesbaby1 at 6:34 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• He is a swimmer and hates basketball - besides, or HOA won't let us have a hoop even if we wanted :(

I hate to buy him swimming supplies for Christmas - He likes it, but I know he wants fun stuff, too. I think we'll do the gift card idea - We were already thinking of that - But with a stipulation that he CANNOT buy any gaming stuff, no games, no equipment. He already has too much and we are trying to get him away from that.
    texassahm

Comment by texassahm (original poster) at 6:36 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• you could get him a nerf dart gun that way maybe he will go outside and shoot it and see all the beauty of the good'ol outdoors.
    CarVan

Answer by CarVan at 11:11 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Since he is a swimmer, have you thought about getting him a waterproof mp3 player? It wouldn't be totally for swimming, but he could use it in the pool.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:52 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Nerf guns for him and his father. We LOVE Nerf guns in our family. Even the ADULTS have Nerf guns.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:25 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• How about rollerblades?
    summerleigh

Answer by summerleigh at 4:25 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• As a mom with 3 boys 19, 16, & 15 I would have to say it gets harder for me because their wishes become so much more expensive. I have been teaching mine over the past few years about quality versus quantity.At 13 each of my boys wanted video games & sports equipment. Hope this helps someone.
    Momx3forever

Answer by Momx3forever at 5:11 PM on Dec. 7, 2010