Email from Teacher about 8 year old....

I just got an email from my son's teacher (third grade) saying that he is misbehaving in class and disrupting the class. This is not the first time she has had to speak with him. Now a little about our situation. I'm a very leniant parent. I don't punish to often, I never spank, don't really yell too much either. I'm a single parent. Now today I was going to take him to get a new webkin (with his halloween money). Obviously we are not going to go and he won't be able to play video games or on the computer tonight. Do you think that's fair punishment. I want to nip this in the bud now. We did have some problems last year and I don't wantto repeat that. Any suggestions?

vanessa1274

Asked by vanessa1274 at 1:10 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think that only one day of punishment for behavior that warrents a phone call home is a little too leniant. My sister had some problems with her 10 year old and he had a week's punishment for every phone call....for more than one, he lost all priviledges until he got a month of good reports.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 1:13 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• i think what you are doing is right. i would also talk to him and tell him he needs to stop misbehaving or he will get more amenities taken away. & STICK TO YOUR GUNS!
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 1:14 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• oh and i dont think it should be just one night either sorry i ddint see that part. it should be like a week.
    KelsoBabeyy

• How you want to parent your child is up to you. I do think that since you stated that you are a lenient parent, that the punishment of not going and getting a new Webkin is a good start. If his behavior continues to be disruptive in school though, you need to start being more disciplinary at home. If he doesn't learn respect and how to control himself from you, where is he going to learn it?

Anonymous

• I understand your dilemma, but I have to tell you that being too lenient is going to buy you a world of trouble and it will not do your child any good either. Your child needs to learn that their are consequences in life for every action. I will give you an example from my own son, he recently stopped taking the time to do his homework correctly and even neglected to do any of it, he dropped from the honor roll because he went from an A in science to a D. That was enough to get him a 3 month grounding, that is the period of time until the next grading period. He hates it, but let me tell you that he is applying himself like never before to his school work.

hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 1:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I think you should talk to your son to see if he can tell you why he is acting this way. It might be a thing were he is sitting next to a child that likes to talk or that he is really good friends with. The other thing is that he might be bored. I know that with my children they need to be challenged and if they are not then they start to get in more trouble.

I am also a very lenient parent and I do thing that your punishment is okay. If you feel that you need to be harsher then tell him next time he will be grounded for 2 days, pr something along those lines.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:53 PM on Nov. 6, 2008