I have a weird question, cause I have a weird cycle lol.

My hubby and I are trying for a baby...

My cycle is very very irregular, I will sometimes get my period 3 times in one month and other times it will not come a few months at a time. This being said...I'm not sure when I would be ovulating.

I know I can get those test strips to figure out when I'm ovulating and I'm going to do that sometime soon.

Here's what happened though.

We had intercourse, and the next day I got my period.

With an irregular cycle I'm not sure when I would be ovulating so what are the chances I could have gotten pregnant then? And if I did conceive would I still have gotten my period or would it have no come even though it was only a day before it decided to come? When can I take a test? I know usually when you have your period that means you aren't pregnant but I mean...is it possible at all that I could have conceived even though I started the next day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• All I can tell you is to have sex every other day (not every, because your husband's sperm need time to build back up after sex), and you'll hit ovulation one way or another. Best wishes to you.

Oh, and contrary as it may sound - if you go on birth control to regulate your periods (many women have to do it), you'll be able to get more regular and be able to track your ovulation better.
    Anonymous

• You can get OPKs at pretty much any store that sells HPTs--Walmart, grocery stores, pharmacies. They should be in the same section.

Women generally ovulate 11-16 days before their period starts. If you have a very short cycle, it is possible that you might ovulate while on your period, so having sex the day before your period could result in conception. IF you have a cycle that's less than 3 weeks or so, then it is possible. But the egg wouldn't be fertilized until you actually ovulate, and then hormones would start being produced (and creating side effects like no period) after implantation occurs, which is usually 6-10 days after ovulation. So IF you did conceive, it would not have effected this period.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:46 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• My suggestion with an irregular cycle would be to chart basal body temp and cervical mucus. BBT is the ONLY thing that will tell when you ovulate for sure. CM will tell you when you're fertile. You can use it in conjunction with OPKs if you like, but with an irregular cycle, you run the risk of spending a ton of money on OPKs, since you can't narrow down a time frame at all. Read the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler and check out FertilityFriend.com. As someone who has extremely irregular cycles, I can attest that charting is a much simpler way to go about things, and is a great way to get to know your body and its signs.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:49 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Get the book Taking Charge Of Your Fertilty and learn to chart! That's your best bet.

Also look into Fertility Blend (http://www.fertilityblend.com/). That might help regulate your cycles.

Also have you ever been tested for PCOS? Not having periods for months at a time is a common symtom of PCOS. IF you do that could explain not ovulating normally too. You may need some help ovulating.

But I personally would try the Fertility Blend first before going the fertility drugs route just because it's safer and I know LOTS of people with and without fertility problems who it's helped.

miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 11:35 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• thanks ladies!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:07 PM on Dec. 6, 2010