Is it safe for me to keep breastfeeding my baby if i took the plan b(morning after pill)?

My doctor said yes but the pharmasist said no....

Yoan23

Asked by Yoan23 at 6:56 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You need to call your local hospital and ask to speak to the lactation consultant. She will have a resource book that will end the debate. This sort of thing happened to me before with a different med...dr and pharmacist said diff things but the LC read me a quote from her book and it said I could still BF.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:00 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• It is however I wouldn't be taking it all the time. Here's a link where I found the information and just so you know everything on the kellymom site is considered accurate by even the most experienced nurser.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/birthcontrol.html#morningafter

And give yourself an extra chocolate for making the best choice for you baby. Nursing isn't easy and the fact that you choose it is wonderful!
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 7:00 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• i really hate to say this but i really wouldnt for at least 48 hours
    eaglesbaby1

Answer by eaglesbaby1 at 7:09 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Well considering it is progestin or a combination of progestin and estrogen and both are considered safe to use as birth control while nursing I don't see why it would be contraindicated. Yes the estrogen can cause supply issues, but other then that I don't see an issue.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:10 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• you can always search bfing and medications here:
    http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT
    I dont think it will be a problem. Is there estrogen in it? It can cause serious supply issues. nurse more.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:17 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I agree with aeneva.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I don't know if it is safe but it might affect your supply for a few days because of the estrogen.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:37 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Yes, keep nursing. And pump between nursing sessions bc the hormones can impact your supply.

Pharmacists are not required to take any curses on human lactation.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:42 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• The morning after pill is basically a high-dose combination birth control pill. Combination birth control pills (i.e., the regular pill, not the "mini pill") are not recommended for breastfeeding mothers because it can cause supply issues (i.e., can make your milk dry up). Since this is a one-time use, that's not a concern. So it should be fine to still nurse after taking it.

However, whenever you're in doubt, even if the doctor and pharmacist agree, talk to someone who is an expert in breastfeeding, like a lactation consultant. They will know better than anyone else, since breastfeeding is not generally something covered in detail in medical or pharmaceutical education.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:57 AM on Dec. 6, 2010