Fundraising

I have been invovled in many churches. My husband is in the military and we move all the time. I have heard pastor preach against fundraisng. Not even for thier christian school. I personally feel this is a presonal conviction and I can not find a biblical base for the approach.
Do you believe this is right? If no, does your church still support any communtiy outreach?

thewife1

Asked by thewife1 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• there is nothing wrong with fundraising. many churches do it. i can't think of a biblical reason for not doing fundraising. i would ask him why he is against fundraising. if he's talking carwashes selling candy etc... can't see the reason.. however some organizations including churches.. have raffles and some ppl do take issue with raffles. but i would ask.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I for one find it quite annoying churches allowing their teenagers to stand outside walmart begging to wash folks cars for church funds. Keep it within your church. I donate my money real charities- red cross, march of dimes..
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 2:50 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I don't belong to a church, we're pagan, but I told my husband we need to make up our own doctrine that says our religion is against fund-raising! lol I am so tired of the kids coming home almost every month with a fund-raising thing. I would rather they do something that is AT the school like bake or craft sales or car washes. But going door-to-door is humiliating and dangerous and often if payments are due when the items come in, payments aren't recieved and someone is left paying the money. There has got to be better ways to riase money for school (and churches). I am not against raising money, just against the current way we do it.
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 3:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• me too seakla. I got to where I wouldn't let mine do the door to door thing where they collected money when the item came in, that was costing us. I think you are right and I may present that at the next PTA meeting. And how cool is it we Pagans attend meetings as proudly as anyone else.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:40 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Maybe I was not clear, I was talking about fundraises in the church. A church right across town that a thrift store does really well for example.
    stuff like a dinner at the church or a parents day out.
    I appericate the commits but,t it was mostly for those who attend a christian church.
    Anonymous

• I live in a town with, get this, 40 churches for just 2000 people! I am pagan so I don't go to chuch BUT I have a home business with Ameriplan and do fundraisers with mony of the churches here in town! All of them do fundraisers around here! The youngest church in my town is like 60+ years old and repairs need to be kept up with...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:05 PM on Nov. 6, 2008