Oops! How to wean my 27 month old from a bottle habit?

No one told me I was supposed to do this awhile ago... He gets a little milk before nap time and bed time while we read together. Now that I'm about to start potty training, I'm realizing the bottle habit has to go. But how?

vixenmama

Asked by vixenmama at 7:03 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just take it away and give him a sippy. Good luck
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 7:05 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• well i gave mine a cup during the day and she drank it when she fot thursty and gave her a bottle at night and then got it where i didnt even do that.
    eaglesbaby1

Answer by eaglesbaby1 at 7:08 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Does he need it to fall asleep? If so, you can either take it away and hold/rock him to sleep, or you can water down the milk with warm water until it's all water, and hopefully he will loose interest in it. There's no easy answer to this. I was unable to BF my son and while hes just 10 months, I'm already worried about how I'll wean him off a bottle. Just be sensitive to this change, and give it a few days or a week to work.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 8:17 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• When my daughter was 17 months old, I just took the bottle...on Christmas Eve. All the chaos of Christmas made it easy....she didn't even notice.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:53 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Every day give the bottle less and less. As a mother you have to be strong about this because it is a habit that is hard to break. During meal times give sippy cup. Sticking to it daily will help the process go faster. Good luck.
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 8:47 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I dunno. I never forced my kids off of theirs. My oldest would use his for milk in the morning and before bed. He drank water and juice out of sippys during the day though. One day he just decided he was done and threw his bottle away. My youngest did the same thing but he was 16 months old when he did it (my oldest did it at 2.5 years).
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:18 AM on Dec. 6, 2010