What can I get my sister (who is a single mom) for Christmas?

My sister has had a rough year. Her husband cheated on her, left her, and had been trying to play games with her and their daughter by either not paying child support or refusing to see his daughter. Things are finally looking up for her. She just bought a house and is doing better. I would like to get her something for Christmas but have it from her daughter ( who is 20 months old). I thought about having professional portraits done but she just had those taken last month. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• How about a gift certificate for a mani pedi?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:07 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• get her something she needs for the house........a gift certificate for house cleaning/yard service......a coupon for "me time".......gift certificates for restaurants.....gift cards for walmart/kmart/taget
    bigblueeyes

Answer by bigblueeyes at 7:10 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• well you probably can get her a nice giftbasket with aromalotions that relief stress or a nice sweater or jacket & you can get her daughter a nice christmas eve outfit or something like that
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 7:11 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I agree to get her something that she needs for the house. Like a new pots and pants set, a new appliance (Stand Mixer, Blender, or something of that nature), or even a new bedding set.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:19 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• ooohhhhh, new bedding set, that's a great idea! I second that! Some high quality sheets, something luxurious.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• i like the idea of a gift certificate for a maid service...god knows we could ALL use that! as a single mom im sure that would help her alot and take off some stress, especially if you can afford to get it for once a month for a year or something. also, since she's probably feeling a bit insecure right now, find a local spa that does makeovers. get her a certificate for a day at the spa (dont CALL it a makeover if she might take that offensively) and include a haircut and dye/highlight, massage, mani-pedi, spray tan (if she would like that), and/or massage. she'll walk out feeling like a new woman and love you for it. offer to watch her little one while she's there. depending on your budget you can add or remove things from the makeover of course.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 7:26 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I would get her something she will want because i know as a single mom she will not probably get herself anything nice just for her. so something like a spa or massage, aromatherapy, bath and body works. or get both a need and a want.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 7:29 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• o or offer to give her some free babysitting so she can just go out and enjoy a movie or a trip to the grocery store ect and just have some time to herself.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 7:31 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• As a mother, particularly a single mother, we're not likely to spend money on ourselves for frivolous things that we want but truly do not need. What things does she enjoy? What is her favorite color? Fragrance? Does she like shoes/purses/bags/clothes/jewelry/makeup? What are her indulgences? If you know, then you already have your answer. Whatever you get, let it come from her daughter with a card that says "For everything you do for me, you deserve some TLC". :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:45 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• "Coupons" for free babysitting. Gift cards to Menards, Home Depot or Lowes. GIft card for a spa day. What does she need for the house that she wouldn't buy herself?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 5, 2010