Croup :(

We found out today that my 7 month old son has croup :( We had to take him to the ER because he was having so much trouble breathing and when he would cough it sounded as if he was barking. They basically told us that there is really nothing we can do for him, other than putting him in a bathroom while a hot shower is running, then dress him and take him in the cool weather, as well as run the humidifier.

My question to you is, has anyone ever experienced this with their child? How long did it last? Any other tricks to help him?

Thanks in advance.. its killing me to see him like this :(

TsMommy428

Asked by TsMommy428 at 7:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My little guy had it once....no fun. IT was bad for 2-3 days and then got better each day. My doc gave my son a dose of Steriods to help with the inflamation. Just remember what the doc said and that he will get better! If he ever acts like he is really struggling please son't hesitate to take him back. Good luck!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 7:30 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• My youngest had it when he was a baby, but they gave him steroid shots in the ER, which helped tremendously.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:29 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I did with my younger two kids, my advice would be to take your child to the pediatrican. My pedi got both kids on albuteral as well as antibiotics to make sure that they didn't get anything else while their little systems were fighting the croup. I would schedule an appointment and see what your has to say about it.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 7:31 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• The night we took him to the ER was the worst, by far. We also were having a hard time keeping his fever down. It got up to around 104 when we were driving to the hospital. The doctor told us to give him way more than the usual dose of Tylenol and Motrin until the fever was being controlled, which was only about a day or so.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Ya they gave him that as well! And it seems to be helping a lot, they told me night time will be the worst for him.. Was it for you?
    TsMommy428

Comment by TsMommy428 (original poster) at 7:31 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Thank you Crazy4U!!
    TsMommy428

• it also took 2 months to get rid of because despite all our attempts to keep them from getting sicker they still got a cold on top of the croup.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 7:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Thank you ladies for your input! I appreciate it!
    TsMommy428

Comment by TsMommy428 (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2010