If you have a scheduled c-section do you still have to get an Epidural?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I truly don't know if it's always done, but I did get one with my c-section.
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 1:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• They have to provide anesthesia in some way. In emergency c-sections they usually give a spinal, so I'd imagine that with a planned c-section they'd give you an epidural or some type of local anesthesia so you don't feel the knife cutting your abdomen open.
    Anonymous

• They are going to give you something to numb you, be it an epidural or general anesthesia(sp?). They have to, you wouldn't be able to deal with the pain from them cutting into you.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• either epi or spinal block depending on your doctor. unless it doesn't take or is patchy then you get put completely under anesthesia
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 1:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Yes... usually the epi or spinal, actually in EMERGENCY c-sections they put you to sleep. If it is a true emergency then they have no time to waste, I've been there done that.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 2:07 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• It depends, they would like to give you a epidural if you can take it. My anethesia was based on my blood test. The first time they wanted to give me a c-section they wanted to put me under with general and give me a transfusion, but I was so upset they stopped my labor instead. The next time I went into labor my blood tests let me have a spinal, it was too bad for epidural still. My MIL said she had a local for her c-section. I was not that brave. But the anethesia kicked my a$$, my BP dropped too low to fast and my brain felt like it was going to explode. I would never want a c-section.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 3:01 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• This scares me because I planned to have an epi and when it came time for it my body wouldnt stop moving and the anethesiologist refused to give me one... and I ended up going naturally no meds... my fear is what if I need a c-section next time and cant get an epi what do they do?
    Kryssi17

Answer by Kryssi17 at 3:09 PM on Nov. 6, 2008