what do you do when you own mother disagrees with everything you do?

I'm an adult, first off. And I expressed my feelings of maybe trying for another child. She says it isn't a good idea. And I just wanted to blurt out: I do not live with you, I have my own home, we can afford to have another child, I never ask you for any help (to baby sit or for money or anything), I have a supportive husband that takes care of our kid and me, we have the space in our home for another child, I'm healthy enough to have another child, I can take care of two children (as many women do), we do not drink do drugs or even smoke, blah blah blah. It doesn't affect her any way! And there isn't any reason why she should disagree with it. This irritates be because she always wants to contradict me in everything, it drives me nuts.

AbsoluteSelf

Asked by AbsoluteSelf at 7:30 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• if you know it is going to happen, just don't confide in here. I know being family is supposed to bind us, but it often drives us apart... Find other people to enjoy your time with :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:34 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• You listen, respectfully. After all, she raised you ... and you're an intelligent person, certainly capable of making your own decisions, right? And you consider her opinion as valid, because it just may be.

And then you make your own decision. Because, like you said, you're an adult. You're capable of making your own decisions, and you'll make the decision that is right for you and for your family.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 7:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I stopped talking to my mother when she disagreed with me about everything. She would ALWAYS side with my husband's ex-wife and tell me that I had to let the woman run my household, especially when she told me that everything that woman said was right and I couldn't do anything about it. Now if I talk to her it's to update her on how the kids are doing.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 7:37 PM on Dec. 5, 2010