college

I have been a SAHM for 12 years. I have decided to go back to school to be an RN. My husband doesn't want me to. Says I am just thinking of myself. I don't feel like I am. How can I get him to understand i am doing it for us, not just me.

arenad

Asked by arenad at 7:34 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• well, idk if he will listen to reason, but you could make up a 'presentation' to him showing how much it will cost to go to school vs. how much you will earn and also statistics on job availability for rn's. then sit him down and have a heart to heart about why you're going back and what you hope to accomplish. you can just show him your side of it in a gentle way (don't be confrontational or angry about it). you can't make him understand anything that he's not willing to understand. you can make your argument but he will only truly listen when he's ready. it sounds like he's afraid of change which is ok.....some people are. it's not something that he can't overcome
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:53 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Truth is you may not be able to convince him BUT you shouldn't let that stop you. He is the one being selfish and completely unsupportive and I feel for your situation. Is he reacting this way because he's unsecure?
    Anonymous

• Sorry, I meant "insecure".
    Anonymous

• Wow, umm, you probably won't be able to! Just tell him that by going to school and being able to get a job you will be able to contribute to the family. Try and make it about helping the family. I went back and got my associates and have had a hard time finding a college (because I have to go all online since I live overseas) and he is calling me a slacker all the time (jokingly) because I am not back in already! Many times you can't really change someones mind on these types of issues. It sounds like he doesn't want you leaveing the home to go to school or in the end, get a job!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 7:52 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• girl *bump* him. Go get your degree. He is just afraid things will change and that you will no longer need him. he is saying negative things out of fear.
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 1:47 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Show him how much your earning potential could be and how much that will help out with your savings, bill paying and doing things you want to do.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2010