14 month old slams head into things when upset

My youngest son throws the biggest tantrums when he is mad. He will scream and cry and even hit his head against anything he can (the couch, the coffee table, US!). Tonight he threw the biggest fit because he wanted his milk in a bottle and not a sippy cup..he ended up slamming his head down onto the hardwood floor we have and gave himself a HUGE goose egg on his forehead. What can we do to help him stop this? I don't care as much about the tantrums, but I hate that he hurts himself!

MichaelsMom330

Asked by MichaelsMom330 at 7:40 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is typical for that age. You can try to block it and say a firm "no". But he will soon figure out on his own that it hurts.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:42 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Hmm, the only thing I can think of is what we did with our DD when she was being rough, which is get to her level, and gently take her hands, legs, head, etc. and say, "gentle" and variations of that over and over. Be a good example by keeping calm and consistently try to convey gentleness and calmness when this happens, and maybe that will help. Sorry mama.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 7:45 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Our son started that for awhile. we figured he was doing it to get attention so we started just ignoring him. It was so hard to cause he would hurt his head and then want me to give him cuddles, but we would just go about doing what we were doing and ignore him. he stopped doing it after about 3 times.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 10:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• We are going through this stage at the moment with my 23 mth old. He hits himself when you tell NO when he gets into things or does something he isn't suppose to do. The only thing that my husband and I found that works is to distract him or ignore him. When he doesnt get attention he won't do it.
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 8:43 AM on Dec. 6, 2010