What is an easy recipe for chocolate covered cherries?

When I was a kid I would always get my dad these cheap, gross chocolate covered cherries for Christmas. So this year I would like to give him some good homade ones!

Lobelia

Asked by Lobelia at 7:45 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• go to your local grocery store,assuming they still have cherries on the stems.....get some regular bar chocolate or whatever chocolate you perfer....melt the chocolate and dip the cherries in it.....let them sit till dry.....home made chocolate covered cherries
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 11:06 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Buy the semi sweet milk chocolate block at Walmart in the baking aisle. And don't forget to buy bing cherries. Go home, throw the block in the microwave. Be sure to stop and stir every 30-60 seconds. Then use a pick to stick a cherry then dip in chocolate. Use another pick to slide the cherry off onto a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Repeat over and over. Tip: get the kids to help...FUN. Okay then put the cookie sheet in the fridge to chill.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 7:51 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I use candy molds to make them but you CAN make them without molds.

Chocolate Covered Cherries

2 1/2 c. confectioners sugar
    1/4 c. butter or margarine, softened
    1 Tbsp. milk
    1/2 tsp. almond extract
    maraschino cherry juice, enough to make dough the desired consistency
    maraschino cherries
    Semi-sweet chocolate chips or chocolate almond bark, melted with 2 Tbsp shortening for every 12 oz. chocolate.

In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, butter milk and extract; mix well. Add maraschino cherry juice as needed to make a cookie-dough consistency. Knead into a large ball. Wrap tightly and store in refrigerator if you need to.

Roll into 1 inch balls and flatten into a 2 inch circle. Wrap around cherries and lightly roll in hands. Cover loosely and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Using a fork (or stem if you used cherries with stems), dip cherries into melted chocolate; set on waxed paper to harden.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:45 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Yum. I have no recipes, but it sound great.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 7:52 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I'm going to have to try michiganmom's recipe! yum
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:00 PM on Dec. 6, 2010