when is the best time to potty train a two year old boy?

my mom keeps telling me its ok for a two yr old to potty in his dipper is she right or am i right and she is wrong?

krissy1989

Asked by krissy1989 at 7:48 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She's right. Not only do boys tend to potty train later than girls, 2 years old is pretty young, especially if the child just turned 2. To be able to use the potty, a child must have a clear understanding of how the whole process works - something a 2 year old may not be able to do. They also have to have the ability to control their bowels and bladder. They should be able to pull their pants up and down, but that's not required if you are helping them. Most importantly, they need to want to do it! My very bright DD didn't PT until she was almost 3. There's nothing wrong with trying though! Just be positive and don't force it. If it doesn't work now, wait a couple months and try again. Good luck! Don't worry, he will PT when he's ready.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 8:12 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I am kinda in the same boat your in. My son is turning 2 yrs old in 2 wks. But I have been letting in wonder in the bathroom watching me and my husband so that he isn't scared of the toilet. I also have been putting him on his little potty chair just so that he will get used to it. But I have found you will know when your child is giving you clues on potty training. Staying dry longer and noticing that he will pull on his diaper to let you know its dirty. Start slowly. I have been doing it for about a month and about 3 times a day. My son has peed in the potty chair but its because I usually do it as soon as he gets up and 20 mins after he eats and before nap time.
    Good luck and just start slowly.
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 8:37 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• You cannot force a child to potty if they are not ready
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:54 PM on Dec. 6, 2010