periods after sterilization

Okay, so my question is simple. I had my tubes tied, cut, and burned to make sure I didn't get pregnant again. It took 6 months before I finally got a period (I had foolishly assumed that getting sterilized would prevent me from getting a period again) but now they are longer than they used to be (I would go 3 days before and now am going a whole week).
Here's my question;
Can I get pregnant now that I'm having a period again? I heard that a period meant you can get pregnant and I want to make sure that child number 6 won't come at all since I took such extreme measures to prevent from getting pregnant again.

momnstepmom

Asked by momnstepmom at 7:49 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• no

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:49 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• You still get your period after sterilization. But, I would like you to know that the procedure you had results in a higher chance of pregnancy than having them tied. The severed fallopian tube can reattach, and heal. This happens %.04 more frequently than in a normal procedure where your tubes are clamped/tied only.
    As for your periods, you should google "PTLS"
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:52 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I only went through with everything because my great-grandmother, grandmother, and mother had their tubes just tied and got pregnant again, I wanted to do all 3 because I wanted to make sure I didn't. The doctor tied off the ends, cut above the tie, and then burned the ends so that they couldn't heal back together. But I will look up 'ptls', thanks for the info.
    momnstepmom

Comment by momnstepmom (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• You CAN get pregnant, the chance is super low, but the change of ectopic pregnancy goes waaaaay up. Unless you've got other wierd thigns going on I highly doubt you have ptls. My periods are different after having my tubes tied too but I do not have ptls.
    Anonymous

• I tried looking up ptls on google, and only found studies that were done of women who complained of it. I didn't find any actual information of what it is or anything else like that.
    I don't think I have it, whatever it is. I just wanted to know if it was possible. Obviously since we have 5 kids my husband and I are extremely fertile, and I'm scared that with the period now coming that I can get pregnant. We can't afford anymore kids, we're barely making it with the ones we have (we have 2 living here part-time and 3 who are full time).
    momnstepmom

Comment by momnstepmom (original poster) at 8:29 AM on Dec. 6, 2010