My 5 Year Old Has Been Limping for 3 days!(HELP PLS)

Friday my son got off the school bus his father was there to get him, we didnt notice a limp, we when to the store and he said his foot hurt. we thought it was just his shoes which might just be to the point where they are too small, Changed the shoes limping went on ( i figured his foot was just sore from the small shoes)
-Saturday no complains about his foot hurting went to the store and I noticed him limping.. i said buddy does you foot hurt he saud yeah and pointed to the front of his ankle (not the sides the front part)
-sunday morning (today) took him to the doc cause he was still limping the doc said it was not now there is no discoloration not swollen, but my son is a tuff kid! and for him to be limping for THREE DAYS says to me there is something wrong, the doctor wrapped it and told him to rest well its been wrapped all day and its just getting worst..how long do i wait till i take him back ido believ he could of pulled something or twisted it, but how long does that take to heal??? oh and can it be GROWING PAINS? for 3 days not making him limp?

SammiGirl07

Asked by SammiGirl07 at 7:56 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• If it seems to be getting worse, I would call the doctor and inform him. He should tell you what to do next
    Shanti0327

Answer by Shanti0327 at 7:59 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I sprained my ankle and was told it takes longer to heal a sprain then a break, so I would keep it wrapped for a week or more then have him walk around without and see how it feels. If it is good then give it a day or two and see if it still is feels good. If it does you are probably good if not then wrap it again for an another week.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:03 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• When my dd just turned 2. she went to her grannies house. she woke up from a nap hurting (it was her hip) & it got worse (within hours).. She was in the hospital for a week & had to have surgery... She had staph infection in her bone (osteomyelitis)..
    I dont think your son has this since that we know of it happens rapidly (over 1 day is a huge change)... But I cant post this post without letting you know... Getting worse seems a bit odd especially after seeing a dr.
    also the only way to see osteomyelitis is through xray.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:07 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I'd go back and insist on a better more thorough exam. A child doesn't just limp for no reason.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:09 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• It could be growing pains but you know I would take him to the ER right now. You can never be tooo careful when it comes to your kids.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 8:12 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• imo i would say that it is a sprain and i would call the dr. to see if ice or heat might make it heal up a little faster. but it might take a while....i'm not a spring chicken anymore, but it takes me at least a week to see improvement. i would also give him some tylenol if he says it is hurting him.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:13 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I would go back, or go to the er and get an Xray, especially if he get to the point that he won't walk on it. My friend's little boy wouldn't walk one his leg for two days, he said his shin hurt. They went to the er and it did turn out to be growing pains.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 8:13 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Take him back for various tests - x-rays, blood work, all of it - I know (personally know) 2 kids of diffrent ages who were diagnsoed with cancer, one bone cancer one leukemian, because of leg pain. I don't mean to scare you, it coule be something simple, but the sooner you know the better!
    Anonymous

• I agree with DevillnPigtails. It sounds like a sprain to me and they definitely take time to heal. I've had numerous sprains. My DS had one recently. He had been jumping near our couch and pulled his toe, which then strained the ligaments on the top front part of his foot, near his ankle. There was no bruise, no redness, and no real swelling. We tried to immobilize it as much as possible by wrapping it. He still felt pain a few days later, but he said it wasn't as bad. I think it took about 2 weeks till he stopped limping and felt no pain. If your DS doesn't feel that his foot is less painful in the next few days, it might be worth another trip to the MD.
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 11:29 PM on Dec. 6, 2010