Yes Micala, there IS a Santa Claus!

The other night my 14 yr old daughter came home from church and told me I had lied to her. Not having a clue what she was talking about i thought "Oh lord what did they teach at church tonight?" LOL

She informed again I had lied to her and i asked her what she was talking about and she informed me "You told me Santa was real" I bust out laughing because i wasnt sure what else to do. Heck she is 14 I figured she had been humouring me for the last couple of years because I always told her "If you dont believe you dont receive"

But then again she is a bit mentally immature and i should have thought about that but i didnt. She was MAD at the youth pastor for telling her 23 days before Christmas that Santa did not exist. I tried to explain to her the basis of it all of it being about giving, sharing etc but it just wasnt enough so I wanted to find something so I went to the internet and this is what I found:

Who is Saint Nicholas?

The true story of Santa Claus begins with Nicholas, who was born during the third century in the village of Patara. At the time the area was Greek and is now on the southern coast of Turkey. His wealthy parents, who raised him to be a devout Christian, died in an epidemic while Nicholas was still young. Obeying Jesus' words to "sell what you own and give the money to the poor," Nicholas used his whole inheritance to assist the needy, the sick, and the suffering. He dedicated his life to serving God and was made Bishop of Myra while still a young man. Bishop Nicholas became known throughout the land for his generosity to the those in need, his love for children, and his concern for sailors and ships.

Under the Roman Emperor Diocletian, who ruthlessly persecuted Christians, Bishop Nicholas suffered for his faith, was exiled and imprisoned. The prisons were so full of bishops, priests, and deacons, there was no room for the real criminals—murderers, thieves and robbers. After his release, Nicholas attended the Council of Nicaea in AD 325. He died December 6, AD 343 in Myra and was buried in his cathedral church, where a unique relic, called manna, formed in his grave. This liquid substance, said to have healing powers, fostered the growth of devotion to Nicholas. The anniversary of his death became a day of celebration, St. Nicholas Day, December 6th (December 19 on the Julian Calendar).

Through the centuries many stories and legends have been told of St. Nicholas' life and deeds. These accounts help us understand his extraordinary character and why he is so beloved and revered as protector and helper of those in need.

After reading this I brought it to her. I asked her if the youth pastor explained about St Nick and the history of how it all came to be and she told me yes. Than I asked her then how is that any different than the families we help with groceries or the angels we pick off the angel trees which is helping the poor? She said it wasnt.

And i told her so there is no difference between us and Santa Claus. In all actuality, minus the red suit, I AM Santa Claus and what he stood for many years ago.

THAT got her to thinking. :-)

So for those of you whose children are told there is no Santa Claus, teach them the origin and the history of St. Nicholas to help them believe.

Merry Christmas!

Sandyr911

Asked by Sandyr911 at 8:11 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Holidays

• thats a great idea
    NevansMommy

Answer by NevansMommy at 5:17 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Glad u liked it!
    Was afraid no one read this! lol
    Sandyr911

Comment by Sandyr911 (original poster) at 5:14 PM on Dec. 7, 2010