how exactly should i punish my 19 month old because i dont want to spank her when she is bad.im trying time out but it is not working out well.

kellymaurer22

Asked by kellymaurer22 at 10:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Redirection is good with toddlers. They don't see right and wrong the same way adults do, and IMO, it's not fair to expect them to.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 10:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Time outs take time to work. With some children they're a little harder to get to work than others. My son, for example, didn't take to them right away. He would laugh the whole time or try to get out of it. My daughter, on the other hand, will sit in time out with the saddest look on her face, but she stays there. However I didn't start time outs till they were almost 3. I feel that before that they really don't understand what they're for. It's durring the toddler years that children begin to understand right from wrong and that their actions have consequences (good or bad).

Praise your child's good actions. She will start to seek that reaction and attention.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 10:14 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Redirect when possible. This helps show them what they should be doing instead of what they were doing that wasn't good. When my son would have big difficulties I would simply break out the art supplies and let him paint or sculpt (again I started when he was 3). With my daughter I break out the dolls. It's different for every child.

Spanking IMO will NOT help. All it will do is teach your child that when someone does something they don't like they should hurt them. Trust me, it backfires.
    amethystrse

• Definitely too young to spank. Timeouts take time. If you stick to it, they will work.
    I must agree with the ladies above, redirecting is best at this age.
    CoolBeans

Answer by CoolBeans at 12:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2008