how do u tell a very dear friend they have horrible oral hygiene?

confusedbut they are very kind to you with a wonderful personality....

maya123

Asked by maya123 at 8:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• do you mean like their teeth are dirty or just their breath is stinky? because stinky breath can be caused by other things and they might be already aware of that, but just can't do anything about it. it's a touchy subject, especially if they are aware of the problem, but are just pretty helpless to fix it
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:25 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Well, they probably already know it, hopefully. I have really bad teeth but it's nothing I can help. I find it VERY embarrassing but I just don't have the money for the bone graft surgery I need to fix the problem. I am always in pain, constantly have bad breath regardless of the fact that I brush regularly and use pocket patches and I try not to smile so people don't notice. Most people have no idea that I've never even had a cavity. In any case, please try to be sensative. Maybe just suggest that you are going to the dentist and were wondering if she'd like to go along or share about your insurance coverage. That might start the conversation and you can find out what the real problem is.
    t3dragonflies

Answer by t3dragonflies at 8:29 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• She probably does brush her teeth so buying a toothbrush would just be rude. She probably has a disease (everything from diabetes to cancer can cause halitosis can cause it) or something. If it bothers you so much just always have gum on hand pop a piece and then offer her one. It will temporarily help and will seem more like you have a gum addiction than have an issue with her. I have had a friend that I do this with. She is very clean but still has bad breath and I would hate to loose her as a friend because of it.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 8:43 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• LMAO! Theres no kind way to say it. But it must be said!!!!! Just don't be to crude, lmao!
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 8:21 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• You should really think about it and know that she could know that she has bad breath. As some have said some people can't help it. I get bad breath no matter what I do. I brush three times a day, floss twice, use mouth wash and always carry mints on me just because there is nothing I can. The last dentist I saw said I would have to have my tonsils removed. They are large and catch bacteria that is impossible to reach and it just builds up and stinks but I have yet to find a DR that would remove them. It's very embarrassing and hurts when someone tells me my breath stinks because there is NOTHING I can do about it right now. I had someone buy me a tooth brush, an old "friend" of mine. I ended the friendship because of it. She didn't handle it kindly when she delivered the news that she thought my breath was horrible and I need to re-learn how to brush my teeth.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 8:51 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Questions like these always trip me out :) LOL! I'm the type of person who would tell a friend straight up. I love those that are close to me and I don't even let a hour go by without letting them know if something's off about their hygiene.
    LanaisSky96

Answer by LanaisSky96 at 8:53 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I would get some new toothpaste, and rave about how good it feels and its so amazing, and give her some and ask her to try it, and tell you what she thinks...
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 1:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• just be honest and maybe buy then a toothbrush? just be sure you let them know you love them anyway and you don't want to offend.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 8:25 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• there is NO way to say it nicely...the best thing you could probably do is buy 2 tubes of whitening toothpaste and 2 bottles of whitening mouthwash. the next time he/she is there show them your teeth and say "look how white my teeth are getting! i got this great new stuff" then show him/her and say you got them buy one get one free and offer him/her the extra toothpaste and mouthwash. it'll cost you like $5 and maybe save your friendhip ;)
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 8:29 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• well i'm pretty up front with my friends.... so if this is a good friend they will just rub it off... i would tell them they need to take a toothbrush to there teeth... i would like someone to do the same for me too... but sometime with some ppl it's a hard things to get rid of cause i may be something more serious to. GOOD LUCK!!!!
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 2:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2010