has anyone ever eloped and got married? how did the family react? do u think it's rude to elope?

groombride

maya123

Asked by maya123 at 8:25 PM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• Its no ones business. LMAO! I don't think its rude.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 8:30 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• my husband and I kinda eloped you could say lol. we were living in texas together because he was in the army and thats were he was stationed. we decided to get married on a whim we had been together for 5years by that point. we went to the courthouse and got married with some friends we didnt tell his or my family untill about a week later. my family was upset but got over it quickly his family were upset we didnt atleast ask them to fly out so they could be there. I dont think is rude really its a marriege between two people who love each other not the whole family.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• We basically "eloped" in that he asked me and we immediately went to the courthouse, I'm talking 30 minutes between proposal and hitched here, but both sets of parents knew he was going to ask me. They didn't know we were going to go and tie the knot immediately though, and everyone was disappointed because we're both the first-born kids. So we caved and had a "real wedding" a few weeks later. The "real wedding" was absolutely NO fun at all, other than the cake, and I sort of wish we hadn't even tried to make everyone happy, because you can't ever make everyone happy.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:26 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• i don't find it rude.... if you love someone and that is how you want it.... well it's your choice and many might want it for themselves and want the big glam wedding but to me if you really love someone and want to marry them then why go pay out thousands when you can just a fast one that's what i did and my husband and i love eachother to death.....
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 3:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• my sister did. we were all very sad about it.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:27 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• My best friend did... Her family was incredibly upset about it. Her and her now hubby went to Vegas, with only HIS PARENTS and didnt tell hers. I know my family would be devastated!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 8:29 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• My nephew and his ex eloped. They did not tell anyone they were going to do it, they acted like they were going out on a date but did not come home that night. They both called their parents and said "we are fine, we'll be home in 2 days and explain'. When they came home and said 'guess what we got married!' everyone was surprised and happy for them. They were both over 21 and they decided to elope so they could have a no-fuss wedding of their choice and not have to deal with her meddling parents (her dad is a control freak).
    Anonymous

• My ex and I did. I told my mom 3 days later. She cried. She told me I ruined my life, I ruined her life.

He was an abusive asshat. We didn't last long. Lived together about 5-7 months. I didn't ruin my life. By marrying him, I met a friend of his and his wife. I went out with them one night, we ended up going to this bar. I would go to that bar a lot. That's the bar I met my now hubby at. So, it ended well, I'd say.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:59 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• No, but I really wish we had. If I could go back in time, that's what I would do.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:00 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• We didn't elope, but we threw it together very quickly (days), and didn't invite the family. My family respected it, but his family threw a fit - his mother called me the day of, trying to pressure me into letting her whole crew come, when she knew I had told my family we were just doing something small and intimate. I even told her that she could come if it was just her, but that I didn't want the whole world there (They have a HUGE family) Got me to the point of tears - my husband held me and told me he didn't care what happened, he just wanted to marry me, and we went and got married. She didn't show, still acts like its my fault, even though I said she could (but she wanted it her way or no way). Threw a fit because our two best friends (his cousin and his cousin's wife) were our witnesses, still goes on about how they "had no right" to be there... And its been 3 1/2 years, lol. ;)

His grandmother married us, though. <3
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:09 PM on Dec. 5, 2010